Hen's feathers suddenly twisting. Scared it might be a disease.

Kiti008

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
I have a 2-year-old Buff Orpington hen that I'm worried about, she acts fine, but all of a sudden, every single one of the feathers on her neck, are twisted all the way around her. We have had lots of Buff Orpingtons and other breeds in the past, and I have never seen this. The reason I'm a bit scared for her, is that there are diseases that can cause horses' hair to become curly all of a sudden, so it only makes since, that there is probably a disease in chickens, that could cause all the feathers to curl and twist, and anyone who has had chickens, especially in large flocks (we have 40 something.) knows that it is always better to spot sickness or diseases before they get a chance to spread, and take hold of the flock. I have done research for hours, but can't find anything, every time I look something up it says, "Oh, you have frizzles!" and I know she is not a frizzle. Other than the neck feathers, she isn't showing any other signs of illness, but I'd rather ask and find out it's just something small, like a diet problem, then not ask and lose half the flock to a disease, that I could have prevented before it even started.

Thank you for reading my predicament. If anyone knows anything, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom