cayuga duck thread

Pics
If I can figure out how to do multiple hatching pens I might do that. If one hatches her babies at the same time I am able to hatch some using an incubator will they adopt them like a hen will?
I've never done it because I let my girls hatch small clutches and only one at a time for my ducks. But I have read where others have accomplished it but it's not as easy as chickens.

Hey everyone!!!!

I have a Cayuga duck who just turned 7 months. Peajo is very sweet and mimics my Yorkie. Unfortunately I'm relocating to a smaller home and don't have the space for my baby anymore. This is honestly tearing me apart but there is nothing that I can do at this point. I'm looking for a home to raise him as there baby as I would have, a yard with a fenced coop for him to sleep safely and out of other danger from animals that may want to hurt him. One thing I ask if we may keep in touch and if possible send me pictures and updates on him, I would even supply his food shipped directly to you.

If anyone is looking a a new family member please contact me.

Thank you

Hey everyone!!!!

I have a Cayuga duck who just turned 7 months. Peajo is very sweet and mimics my Yorkie. Unfortunately I'm relocating to a smaller home and don't have the space for my baby anymore. This is honestly tearing me apart but there is nothing that I can do at this point. I'm looking for a home to raise him as there baby as I would have, a yard with a fenced coop for him to sleep safely and out of other danger from animals that may want to hurt him. One thing I ask if we may keep in touch and if possible send me pictures and updates on him, I would even supply his food shipped directly to you.

If anyone is looking a a new family member please contact me.

Thank you
Where are you located?

Where are you located?
right up your ally jtn
smile.png

Hello all, I have 2 female Saxony ducks and 1 male and 1 female Cayuga duck, I live in Maine and we've already had our second snow...high during the day is around 44f and at night its usually 25-31f My ducks have been in the barn in their pens since November first with a heatlamp on 24/7 today I had to unplug their heat lamp for a few hours so I could plug the electric fence in to keep my cow in check. I just plugged their heatlamp back in (6pm EST) and unplugged it around 3pm, I went out to the barn when I plugged their lamp in to feed everyone and make sure everyone had water and noticed all my female ducks have these saggy pouches that hang down on their chest, the male duck does not have this and the females didn't have them earlier. I am not a duck expert and frankly wasnt even prepared to have ducks as I know nothing about them. Why do they have these pouches? I picked one up and felt it but theres nothing in it, its not gushy or hard, it just appears to be skin. Are they dehydrated or did they just get cold or is this part of their egg laying process??? (My cayuga once had this pouch and 2 days later I had my first egg) Any advice would be appreciated...I'm quite worried about them. Here is the link to my thread about them with photos. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/937939/help#post_14365283

Hello jtn42248 I'm located in nyc but I'm while to travel to take him.
I wish I was closer I would take him into our family in a heart beat. But, I am in West Texas so even meeting half way would be out of the question. I have 16 Cayugas, 2 drakes and 14 lovely little ladies that I am sure he would be happy with...There are pictures of them in my blog linked in my signature file below. My plan is to begin a breeding program for Cayugas, they are lovely ducks, sweet and silly, but there are not that many breeders around. So, while not endangered they are a threatened breed. Guess people just don't like black ducks. But that probably comes from lack of knowledge. My 94 year old mother who grew up on a farm with chickens and ducks and geese did not even know there was such a thing as a black duck.

Anyway, keep heart, I am sure that someone will come along and be the perfect home for your little guy. Have you tried listing for rehoming in the rehoming forum (drop down tab at the top of the screen under forums).

Let us know how things work out.

I know, but he is located in NYC.
hit.gif
Too bad because I would take him in like a lost child.
hugs.gif
By the way, who told you I lurk in an ally?
ya.gif
You never know where I may turn up. maybe shipped? NYC? too far for me too darn.

Originally Posted by SjLuciano

Hello jtn42248 I'm located in nyc but I'm while to travel to take him. I see a nice trip to Texas here, she'd get out of the frigid temps and snow too.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hello all, I have 2 female Saxony ducks and 1 male and 1 female Cayuga duck, I live in Maine and we've already had our second snow...high during the day is around 44f and at night its usually 25-31f My ducks have been in the barn in their pens since November first with a heatlamp on 24/7 today I had to unplug their heat lamp for a few hours so I could plug the electric fence in to keep my cow in check. I just plugged their heatlamp back in (6pm EST) and unplugged it around 3pm, I went out to the barn when I plugged their lamp in to feed everyone and make sure everyone had water and noticed all my female ducks have these saggy pouches that hang down on their chest, the male duck does not have this and the females didn't have them earlier. I am not a duck expert and frankly wasnt even prepared to have ducks as I know nothing about them. Why do they have these pouches? I picked one up and felt it but theres nothing in it, its not gushy or hard, it just appears to be skin. Are they dehydrated or did they just get cold or is this part of their egg laying process??? (My cayuga once had this pouch and 2 days later I had my first egg) Any advice would be appreciated...I'm quite worried about them. Here is the link to my thread about them with photos. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/937939/help#post_14365283
I would not be too concerned so long and they are not acting strange in any other way...how do you tell if a Cayuga is acting strange? Your guess is a good as mine, but if they are eating and pooping and waddling around they are usually fine. The following paragraph is from WF360 which is actually a duck hunting site but it also has some good duck information:

"Like nearly all animals, waterfowl have a tongue, which is used to move food through the oral cavity into the esophagus. Because waterfowl often feed in areas where they are threatened by predators, it's often advantageous for the birds to "eat and run." Consequently, waterfowl have extra storage capacity in their esophagus, which enables the birds to carry considerably more food from foraging areas than they could otherwise eat. Unlike doves and pigeons, however, waterfowl do not possess a true "crop," or widened portion of the esophagus. Instead, their esophagus is capable of expanding to accommodate substantial amounts of food. "

I have 20 ducks total. 16 of them are a Cayuga breeding flock. They tend to gobble more food during the cold weather so as to have it "stored" for later. When they do that their "chest" will puff up quite large and look as if they have a swollen neck/chest. When they digest their stored food the swelling goes away. I would not refer to it as sagging but it does make a noticeable difference that can catch you off guard. So don't worry too much at this point.

I noticed in your other posting that your vet was coming out to check your cow/calf. Did they have a chance to check your ducks as well? What did they say?

Also, note that ducks are as hardy if not more hardy than chickens. They do find in cold weather so long as they have shelter from wind that they can retreat to. Unless it gets, and stays, well below 20 degrees you really do not need the heat lamp. Having it, just like chickens, impedes the ducks natural ability/instinct to regulate their own body temps. All my ducks have secure overnight shelter with thick bedding but no heat lamp. The temps here have been very cold for a week or two, we even had some snow for the first time in history at this time of year, and the ducks were totally unfazed. So, slowly reduce the exposure to the heat lamp over a period of several days to a week and let them be more natural in their environment.

It is nice to see your level of concern. Many people see ducks as just a messy bird but once you get to know them and see their personalities you know how wrong that is.

Keep us posted as to their condition and post pictures when you can.

Back
Top Bottom