Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about raising a cornish cross as a pet/laying hen. I know they get big really fast but I was wondering if I raised it on regular chick starter and eventually regular laying hen food, would it turn out just fine? I would definitely keep an eye on her weight but does this sound like an ok idea. Do you think she would live as long as regular hens like over 10+ years, possibly 20? Would she get along with my regular laying hens?

She will get a long fine... but not live as long.

If you really wanna keep a cc... I would suggest decreasing nutrition during her rapid growth cycle to slow her down... a technique used in large breed dogs to allow their bones and joints to catch up and support the weight. They also limit intake on breeding ducks during their growth cycle.. Obesity doesn't just effect the ability to mate but can also impede with standard laying and breathing every single day.

It wouldn't be my personal choice... many who have kept them find they have bare bellies from the weight rubbing on roost. Too me, it's asking for more problems than the novelty of keeping a broiler. :confused:

Good luck, whatever you choose. :)

We have one of four left. Two made it to 5 mos. One to 5.5 mos.
Then there's Miss Reese.
Miss Reese is now 6.5 mos and going strong.
She runs and jumps, loves to forage, is our best Layer and everyone's favorite snuggler.
Of course she can't get up on the roost with the others, but she gets into nesting boxes just fine.
Of course we bathe her every 10 days or so.
Warm water helps her sore feet as well as cleaners her belly.
She's got full plumage still, with attitude to match.
15330500318714073736356834834449.jpg
Baths are exhausting...lol
IMG_20180715_190800.jpg
Queen Reese and King Phillip of 'Hei Hei's Coop'.

Attachments

• 15330500318714073736356834834449.jpg
    15330500318714073736356834834449.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 25
How active is Miss Reese? I was on another thread, their CC was older I think, and couldn’t get through the pop door any more. I believe she got a doghouse with a low roost for the run so the biggun could have a sleeping spot. I’ll see if I can find that thread.
Miss Reese is very active. She runs circles in our house when she goes in. She runs circles in the run 15x20.

She will get a long fine... but not live as long.

If you really wanna keep a cc... I would suggest decreasing nutrition during her rapid growth cycle to slow her down... a technique used in large breed dogs to allow their bones and joints to catch up and support the weight. They also limit intake on breeding ducks during their growth cycle.. Obesity doesn't just effect the ability to mate but can also impede with standard laying and breathing every single day.

It wouldn't be my personal choice... many who have kept them find they have bare bellies from the weight rubbing on roost. Too me, it's asking for more problems than the novelty of keeping a broiler. :confused:

Good luck, whatever you choose. :)
X2. Any reason why you can't keep regular birds instead of going for one that's more likely to have health issues?

Back
Top Bottom