Chaining food systems together through gardening and poultry & question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So many of you already know there's this idea called hydroponics and aquaponics, where you chain garden resources together to use and create food by using food web connections to make things work together.

In hydroponics you set up wicking buckets, etc, and pipes with a closed water pump cycle chaining the flow together to try to create super garden growth. You have the tomatoes and or other plants in the buckets and the pipes. With them chained together you can easily boost and create efficiency (after the learning curve).

You just add fertilizer to the water, and check the PH of the water daily once. (You can also replace evaporated water of the system which is closed pumping through a cycle of its own circulator system.

Now the difference between aquaponics is that you put fish in the system instead of buying miracle gro or other products to go into the daily resource inputs. You attach a tank to the pumping system that has fish in it, with it also included in the flow. Then you just feed the fish instead. And periodically you will have meat to eat also.

Most of you have heard this up until now.

Now I've learned recently there's another step that people have figured out. You can also put chickens in cages above the fish. Then the chicken poop drops through the bottom of the cages into the fish tank. The fish can have about 50% of their 'food' be the chicken droppings.

This is the part I had just learned about of chaining the chickens in with it. And people have proven this idea to work already in Kenya, Phillipines, and other parts of Asia.

This has me quite anxious to figure out how to add this part in. (I do have a hydroponics system but its only recently done, and I'm still learning how to keep plants alive in it, which isn't easy since I'm in a semi- desert climate. (Utah)

This seems fun right? I'm curious what you think. But I have to warn you I'm super practical and go cheap. If you looked at my setup some of you might think it looks like salvaged parts and not very good looking. I want to post more of this. And I'm not sure how yet to get the chicken parts into it. Maybe I can just drop their droppings into the water with 50% feed? (Well that would work, but I've thought about resting a cage above the tank). (Going cheap, I'm using a plastic big garbage bin from Walmart first while I test it out. This also is saving me about 80% of the costs of a real tank.)

Has anyone tried this? And what do you think? Its possible that certain types of fish would be more ideal than others?

But part of making this economical rests on the following question that I need input on (thanks in advance);

Can you feed aquarium fish etc (Tilapia?) chicken feed?

So many of you already know there's this idea called hydroponics and aquaponics, where you chain garden resources together to use and create food by using food web connections to make things work together.

In hydroponics you set up wicking buckets, etc, and pipes with a closed water pump cycle chaining the flow together to try to create super garden growth. You have the tomatoes and or other plants in the buckets and the pipes. With them chained together you can easily boost and create efficiency (after the learning curve).

You just add fertilizer to the water, and check the PH of the water daily once. (You can also replace evaporated water of the system which is closed pumping through a cycle of its own circulator system.

Now the difference between aquaponics is that you put fish in the system instead of buying miracle gro or other products to go into the daily resource inputs. You attach a tank to the pumping system that has fish in it, with it also included in the flow. Then you just feed the fish instead. And periodically you will have meat to eat also.

Most of you have heard this up until now.

Now I've learned recently there's another step that people have figured out. You can also put chickens in cages above the fish. Then the chicken poop drops through the bottom of the cages into the fish tank. The fish can have about 50% of their 'food' be the chicken droppings.

This is the part I had just learned about of chaining the chickens in with it. And people have proven this idea to work already in Kenya, Phillipines, and other parts of Asia.

This has me quite anxious to figure out how to add this part in. (I do have a hydroponics system but its only recently done, and I'm still learning how to keep plants alive in it, which isn't easy since I'm in a semi- desert climate. (Utah)

This seems fun right? I'm curious what you think. But I have to warn you I'm super practical and go cheap. If you looked at my setup some of you might think it looks like salvaged parts and not very good looking. I want to post more of this. And I'm not sure how yet to get the chicken parts into it. Maybe I can just drop their droppings into the water with 50% feed? (Well that would work, but I've thought about resting a cage above the tank). (Going cheap, I'm using a plastic big garbage bin from Walmart first while I test it out. This also is saving me about 80% of the costs of a real tank.)

Has anyone tried this? And what do you think? Its possible that certain types of fish would be more ideal than others?

But part of making this economical rests on the following question that I need input on (thanks in advance);

Can you feed aquarium fish etc (Tilapia?) chicken feed?

Interesting!

I have some limited experience with aquaponics using carp (koi, goldfish, fathead minnows) and aquatic reptiles (alligator, slider turtles). From my personal experience, the learning curve/trial-and-error for aquaponics is more complex than for hydroponics because your nutrient source is also a living system, not a measured, bottled, dose. My advice would be to setup a standard aquaponics system (sans the poultry) first. If you want to go cheap, use fathead (rosy red) minnows or feeder goldfish. See if you can get that cycled and growing food. If you can, then I would start experimenting with adding chicken feed/chicken poop. The first thing that comes to mind with adding chickens to the system is that you will have to have a massive filtration system (fast-growing, nutrient-absorbing plants) to deal with the chicken waste (urates, nitrates/nitrites, ammonia, etc.) in addition to the fish waste. The second thing that comes to mind is that typical aquarium fish food has much higher protein and fat content than chicken food.

Good luck! I'll be interested to see others' comments and experience with this! I'll definitely be following... so keep us updated!

I have no experience with aquaponics, though the whole idea of raising a variety of plants and animals in a food system that is tied together intrigues me, it's something I've been meaning to research more.

The thing that concerns me is raising animals in such a limited space.

I have nothing against raising animals for food if they're slaughtered as quickly and humanely as possible, plus while they live, they should be provided with a happy life that includes enough space to act as naturally as possible, according to their species.

I can't imagine that a system where chickens have to live in small cages with wire bottoms above where the fish live, would be anything less than cruel.

Still, there might be ways to achieve what you want without limiting the chickens' lives, like make a wire-bottomed tunnel that leads from the chicken yard to the nighttime coop, that goes over the aquaponic system.

This is giving me something to think about in regard to combining a green house with chickens. I like that link, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how exactly they have the chicken coop attached. The pictures don't really come across very well for that.

I think having the nightime roosting area over the fish would be fine. Daytime the chickens would probably need more space.
Oh, what a good idea! They're on a roost at night, so not walking around on wire. The poop can drop down through a small wired area, or you could have a poop board that slopes down and dumps into the fish area.

This is giving me something to think about in regard to combining a green house with chickens. I like that link, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how exactly they have the chicken coop attached. The pictures don't really come across very well for that.
If you do a browser search for McClung Garden Pool I am sure you will find more info and pictures.

Back
Top Bottom