Turning color of pumpkins, tomatoes, and other vegetables question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Hey fellow gardening friends! Thanks for reading my post!

Here's my question...

So I haven't been paying very close attention in previous years gardening regarding the question of... 'at what color of turning in the vegetable still growing on the plant will it no longer take on additional water?'

I could use some help with this. I had thought that with tomatoes they could take on some additional water when still red. Example; you accidentally leave the water on and those red tomatoes you were going to pick split in the skin. But maybe I'm not right on this for every vegetable? And specifically I wondered about it for pumpkins? Will pumpkins stop taking on size and water once they start turning yellow?

Right now I have several pumpkin plants pumping out pumpkins, but they are little midget sized pumpkins the size of a softball. And they are turning yellow... I'm not sure if they can still grow much if they are already yellow? And I have done pumpkins before this year, but the pumpkins weren't ever this small before. I think the heat did this to the plants. But again could use second opinions on this, and melons specifically also?

If you have thoughts on the 'turning point color' on other vegetables where they won't take on size or water anymore please also feel free to comment on that too.

Thank you very much.

Please grow everything you can. A lot of the country is not doing very well. Also learn how to store what you grow.

Are you sure your pumpkins and watermelon were pollinated? I had to hand pollinate my watermelon this year. But have never had issues with pumpkin. I have no idea about your water question, I always just water my garden in the begining and when the dirt is dry. Always works for me

Well I'm in an area that's hard to get stuff to grow. That's why this wouldn't normally come up with other people probably.

Your profile pic is interesting.

Well I'm in an area that's hard to get stuff to grow. That's why this wouldn't normally come up with other people probably.

Your profile pic is interesting.
Where do you live? What state or what country? And my profile picture is interesting, I love it

Hey fellow gardening friends! Thanks for reading my post!

Here's my question...

So I haven't been paying very close attention in previous years gardening regarding the question of... 'at what color of turning in the vegetable still growing on the plant will it no longer take on additional water?'

I could use some help with this. I had thought that with tomatoes they could take on some additional water when still red. Example; you accidentally leave the water on and those red tomatoes you were going to pick split in the skin. But maybe I'm not right on this for every vegetable? And specifically I wondered about it for pumpkins? Will pumpkins stop taking on size and water once they start turning yellow?

Right now I have several pumpkin plants pumping out pumpkins, but they are little midget sized pumpkins the size of a softball. And they are turning yellow... I'm not sure if they can still grow much if they are already yellow? And I have done pumpkins before this year, but the pumpkins weren't ever this small before. I think the heat did this to the plants. But again could use second opinions on this, and melons specifically also?

If you have thoughts on the 'turning point color' on other vegetables where they won't take on size or water anymore please also feel free to comment on that too.

Thank you very much.

Please grow everything you can. A lot of the country is not doing very well. Also learn how to store what you grow.
I started growing Mammoth Pumpkin’s this year for the first time. I noticed squash bugs in my pumpkins and tons of eggs on the leaves so I got the name oil out and heavily sprayed the leaves top and bottom and removed all the eggs I could find. but it’s been a very very hot summer and the name oil burned the leaves and all my pumpkins died, so what else can I use to fight the squash bugs next year when I if I try it again.?

I started growing Mammoth Pumpkin’s this year for the first time. I noticed squash bugs in my pumpkins and tons of eggs on the leaves so I got the name oil out and heavily sprayed the leaves top and bottom and removed all the eggs I could find. but it’s been a very very hot summer and the name oil burned the leaves and all my pumpkins died, so what else can I use to fight the squash bugs next year when I if I try it again.?
neem oil has to be dilluted a bit. but I don't know the right ratio.

Back
Top Bottom