Turning color of pumpkins, tomatoes, and other vegetables question?

I started growing Mammoth Pumpkin’s this year for the first time. I noticed squash bugs in my pumpkins and tons of eggs on the leaves so I got the name oil out and heavily sprayed the leaves top and bottom and removed all the eggs I could find. but it’s been a very very hot summer and the name oil burned the leaves and all my pumpkins died, so what else can I use to fight the squash bugs next year when I if I try it again.?
Squash bugs on their own and in limited quantities are not a problem. I find looking for eggs or new hatchling easiest to deal with. Remove by cutting out the egg cluster, or squishing the eggs with your hands, squish new hatchlings. A handheld mirror can be helpful to quickly scan under the lower leaves. Remove all mulch and dead leaves bc gives them easy places to hide and over winter.

Squash Vine Borer (SVB) may also be an issue. These are much harder to deal with. Personally, I cannot see the tiny eggs laid on the stems (near the ground). One year, knowing I had SVB preferred squash, I actually would crawl around examining the stems to look for the eggs -never ever found one, but the plant succumbed to SVB. I think this is bc eggs small and same color as the dirt bits splattered into stems after a hard rain. We rented our squash and pumpkins one year. No SVB, but needed hand pollination, difficult to manage the size of a sprawling pumpkin under netting. Some people wrap the stem with gauze of some kind. Well, SVB will attack, just further along the vine. You can inject wit Bt caterpillar spray to try to kill the caterpillar inside the vine, but I’m not sure how successful that is, and haven’t tried it. I’ve had success with planting trap crops -plant something SVB can’t resist (Hubbard is very much preferred), they attack it and generally leave other things alone.

Back
Top Bottom