Challenges facing the peafowl world.

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
This is probably going to ruffle some feathers but I just wanted to share some thoughts regarding the hurdles the peafowl world is struggling with. I'm not going to name and shame but I think most people will be able to connect the dots without my help. The peafowl hobby is grappling with a number of issues that I have seen and I think awareness of them is at least somewhat helpful in eventually working them out.

1. There is very little inherent push to breed better quality birds. Unfortunately even the ugliest most deformed inbred peafowl is still brightly colored so many people don't think of them as having better or worse representatives. This combined with the practice of getting as many chicks to hatch as possible to maximize monetary gains has led to many flocks becoming profoundly inbred. Don't get me wrong I run a business during the summer breeding and selling pheasants and peafowl and there's nothing wrong with making money, the problem is when people sell inferior or defective birds just to fill an order.

2. We don't really have a solid organization anymore for peafowlers. The UPA still exists in name and in NFP status but after some bullying by a director led another director to quit and two others to resign there's not much expertise present in the org anymore.

3. Unethical buying and selling. Alot of people seem to have trouble grasping that peafowl are expensive. Yeah here and there you'll find a backyard breeder who's just trying to get rid of some extra birds but the quality is spotty and you'll very rarely find the more unusual colors. A friend of mine often says that she doesn't think people ask nearly enough for their birds and after this season of multiple outcrossing projects and more colors being bred I definitely agree. On hot days like during this heatwave I'm checking to make sure the birds are comfortable almost every hour.
On the other hand of course is bad selling. A couple breeders seemingly have no scruples about selling birds with lethal genes or thyroid issues. One or two even tout the "progressive pied" bronzes as a bird to be valued rather than culled. Another breeder offered a big name breeder some birds for a breeding loan to build up a mutation and never got the birds or their offspring back.

4. There is a major push for the breeding of new varieties even when the gene pool for a color is still very very limited. Most breeders only have one or two pens of any one variety or color so you're not working with as much genetic variation.

5. The fact that less than 20 breeders hold 90% of the genetic stock of many colors and patterns.

6. Gatekeeping and campaigns of misinformation: for whatever reason some breeders both big and small often don't tell the truth or deflect when asked questions. This is both a way to keep newer people from threatening their rep and their income. It sounds crazy I know but I was told by a bigger breeder who'd been center stage in the American peafowl community for a long time that it's actually getting more and more common.

It is Progressive White as the affected birds do not have to carry a Pied or White gene at all. It is a condition where a normal-colored bird will turn white over a period of time. Some will start within a few months and some will after a few years. The turning of white is not as bad as the other effects of the Progressive trait as they can go blind as well. Here is what was a normal three-year-old Peach hen that I bought last summer and within three months she turned into this stunning bird that I could not breed. Her vision was quite poor but could find food and water in her coop. She was eventually sold to a taxidermist.
IMG_5459.JPG
IMG_5463.JPG

This is probably going to ruffle some feathers but I just wanted to share some thoughts regarding the hurdles the peafowl world is struggling with. I'm not going to name and shame but I think most people will be able to connect the dots without my help. The peafowl hobby is grappling with a number of issues that I have seen and I think awareness of them is at least somewhat helpful in eventually working them out.

1. There is very little inherent push to breed better quality birds. Unfortunately even the ugliest most deformed inbred peafowl is still brightly colored so many people don't think of them as having better or worse representatives. This combined with the practice of getting as many chicks to hatch as possible to maximize monetary gains has led to many flocks becoming profoundly inbred. Don't get me wrong I run a business during the summer breeding and selling pheasants and peafowl and there's nothing wrong with making money, the problem is when people sell inferior or defective birds just to fill an order.

2. We don't really have a solid organization anymore for peafowlers. The UPA still exists in name and in NFP status but after some bullying by a director led another director to quit and two others to resign there's not much expertise present in the org anymore.

3. Unethical buying and selling. Alot of people seem to have trouble grasping that peafowl are expensive. Yeah here and there you'll find a backyard breeder who's just trying to get rid of some extra birds but the quality is spotty and you'll very rarely find the more unusual colors. A friend of mine often says that she doesn't think people ask nearly enough for their birds and after this season of multiple outcrossing projects and more colors being bred I definitely agree. On hot days like during this heatwave I'm checking to make sure the birds are comfortable almost every hour.
On the other hand of course is bad selling. A couple breeders seemingly have no scruples about selling birds with lethal genes or thyroid issues. One or two even tout the "progressive pied" bronzes as a bird to be valued rather than culled. Another breeder offered a big name breeder some birds for a breeding loan to build up a mutation and never got the birds or their offspring back.

4. There is a major push for the breeding of new varieties even when the gene pool for a color is still very very limited. Most breeders only have one or two pens of any one variety or color so you're not working with as much genetic variation.

5. The fact that less than 20 breeders hold 90% of the genetic stock of many colors and patterns.

6. Gatekeeping and campaigns of misinformation: for whatever reason some breeders both big and small often don't tell the truth or deflect when asked questions. This is both a way to keep newer people from threatening their rep and their income. It sounds crazy I know but I was told by a bigger breeder who'd been center stage in the American peafowl community for a long time that it's actually getting more and more common.
Hi there, is there a webpage where I can get information about peafowl genetics? I am looking for info about the recessive genes and how they work within the species.

Nothing worse than buying from a big name breeder and 3 yrs later the bird went blind from this. The worst part... they were the most touted and expensive birds at the auction. Now I dont know how to process I see easily 300 birds a year at the house - the price & crowd is tiny. Littereally the same people who bring peas were the only ones there in 2023 and the prices plummeted. But lethal genes.. yikes!

Nothing worse than buying from a big name breeder and 3 yrs later the bird went blind from this. The worst part... they were the most touted and expensive birds at the auction. Now I dont know how to process I see easily 300 birds a year at the house - the price & crowd is tiny. Littereally the same people who bring peas were the only ones there in 2023 and the prices plummeted. But lethal genes.. yikes!
Do you think that big name breeders take their best stock to auctions? I don't unless I am meeting someone in the parking lot.

no one takes their best stock but selling inferior stock is a good way to get black balled and lose your reputation.
You and I both know of a very large producer that takes hundreds of birds to auctions. He will typically take a couple of 'show stoppers' that are strategically placed in the sale order just to wake up the bidders and get the hands to go up. I have bought a few of those special birds mostly because if I went to his place he would not sell them to me or ask for a much higher price than what he would get at auction.

You and I both know of a very large producer that takes hundreds of birds to auctions. He will typically take a couple of 'show stoppers' that are strategically placed in the sale order just to wake up the bidders and get the hands to go up. I have bought a few of those special birds mostly because if I went to his place he would not sell them to me or ask for a much higher price than what he would get at auction.
Oh it gets better said person has been selling montana lines that are popping out progressive white left and right. Had a hen go on me and was contacted by a few others this week about their own montanas from the same breeder going progressive white.

Back
Top Bottom