Challenging plant problem! Ideas needed!

Whatever you plant will need to get established before you let the chickens run around it. I have mint by the house, but if those girls see a chance to dust bathe, there's a new hole created in the mint garden. I would also avoid potted plants. That is like some kind of playground equipment for my hens. They will rip out whatever is in the planter & dig out all the dirt and dust bathe
roll.png
Very funny about your chickens using your planters to dust bathe. Well, not for you...
hmm.png
Guess you didn't know you were giving them entertainment!

I will use wire mesh to protect my chicken garden. Am going to plant clover, hairy vetch and maybe a few more things.

So far my chickens have ignored rhododendron which likes shade. Another plant that might work is violets. They are good in shade and my chickens peck at them, or maybe around them. Think they are getting seed pods? But there are so many violets I don't see any holes. Violets also spread and I love them. Again, don't know if they are poisonous.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas. After lots of research I have decided to plant............. grass.
Actually I just planted it....twice :/. And tomorrow I need to refigure my temporary fence, and plant it again.
I am saving my gardens for the front of the house.

I would plant a whole chicken garden. Fill it with herbs that they can pick their hearts out. Mint is lovely and they love it. You could even just do thr back portion as mint or herbs and leave the front, fill with sand, amd make a chicky dust bath. :)

Perhaps the best way to do a temporary fence is a little bit of pvc and some bird netting to keep them of of it for now.

Bummer it will be grass. Yes they will tear up pretty much everything else.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom