Changing regulations? No chickens allowed

duckhunternate

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Beatrice, NE
My family and I are going to be relocating due to a job change. We found a great house in a rural village (340 people) in central Nebraska. I talked to the village treasurer and come to find out that village regulations are as follows:
"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain within the corporate limits any horse, mule, sheep, cow, goat, swine, or other livestock.
B. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain within the corporate limits any poultry, chickens, turkeys, geese, or any other fowls.

I don’t look for the board to change their minds on changing the ordinance."

So, how do I go about trying to get this changed? I have the perfect space for chickens (half of a 50x24 outbuilding that we're buying is old horse stalls and could easily be converted to chicken coop space and there's great grass right next to the building to have great outdoor run space.

I thought to contact the village board to ask why this regulation is what it is (if there's even a valid reason), describe what I'd like to do, and ask if they would be amenable to a change. It's a small village and I don't want to come in and burn any bridges but it's in a farming community for crying outside! Let's have a few chickens! We're moving from a city of 13,000 that allows chickens in backyards with no permit, no limit, just no roosters - go figure. I just want a nice little backyard flock, not a production house full of battery cages.

Any suggestions from anyone who's been successful in getting a change made like this? Any advice would be incredibly helpful.
Thanks!
Nate

Sorry, for the situation. But, it is ironic that during WWII it was considered patriotic to have your own chickens..and most farmers have chickens. Bet anyone can have dogs.

The only suggestion I have would be to make friends of all you can. And then get their support for a change. If you can't, then move to Georgia.

Sorry, for the situation. But, it is ironic that during WWII it was considered patriotic to have your own chickens..and most farmers have chickens. Bet anyone can have dogs.

The only suggestion I have would be to make friends of all you can. And then get their support for a change. If you can't, then move to Georgia.

Or Tennessee. You can hardly throw a rock without hitting a chicken in my neighborhood. There are even "chicken crossing" signs on my street! But seriously, Sunflour is right. You have to get the neighbors on your side. Good luck.

Or Tennessee. You can hardly throw a rock without hitting a chicken in my neighborhood. There are even "chicken crossing" signs on my street! But seriously, Sunflour is right. You have to get the neighbors on your side. Good luck.
Off subject, sorry. But love the Chicken Crossing signs idea. Guess it answers the age old question…they cross the road because a sign told them to do so.
big_smile.png

If you do try to meet folks and get support, try to find out why no one wants chickens allowed or you may discover it is just an old ordinance not rethought . Many may have old ideas of chicken keeping ….smell, noise, filth. And compile a list of their concerns and post for your friends on BYC to rebut and offer modern backyard chicken keeping experiences? Couldn't hurt.

When people I know who grew up around old timers coops see mine in person, or photo or on IP live stream…they are shocked at how "clean" the coop and chickens look. And many say they plan to see it they can get some.

People actually follow their towns regulations? In my town people keep chickens, even though it is illegal. If you do it discreetly no one has to know. Remember: if no one sees you its not illegal.

People actually follow their towns regulations? In my town people keep chickens, even though it is illegal. If you do it discreetly no one has to know. Remember: if no one sees you its not illegal.
340 people?? Bet someone will notice. But all would be jealous.

That is really surprising. Are you sure that your house would be in the corporate limits of the village? I wouldn't recommend keeping them if they are illegal there. I know I would just be worried all of the time that someone would be stupid and take them away. I would make friends with as many people you can that are in the town hall. Bring in posters of modern chicken coops or your re-design plans and pictures of the breeds you plan on keeping. You may find that a lot of people would be interested in keeping them.

I also suggest showing them pictures of the most beautiful heritage breeds you can such as a Salmon Favorelle roo (I'm partial). A lot of people don't know that chickens aren't just white or brown and couldn't tell a hen from a rooster. Educate them.

When I was looking at new property I talked to my closest neighbor before I put an offer on it to let them know about my intentions of keeping chickens to make sure that they were okay with it. Once the chicks came I invited them over to see the chicks and described to them what they would look like. I also keep them happy by giving them free eggs.

It really helps to get people involved and let a few be really loved by the community around you. That way other people get attached to them and it is like taking their pets away not just yours if someone gets upset. One of my roosters every morning crosses the road to go eat under my neighbor's bird feeder (LOL why did the chicken cross the road...) and now he is just as much their bird as he is mine.

Back
Top Bottom