Changing to a new coop

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
Hi,
We are almost done with a new coop build. The chickens will be getting an upgrade from a short 4'x 6' coop to a tall 8'x8'. I have 11 chickens. They'll have two 7.5ft roost bars. When it comes time to move them in, should I take them in there during the day to explore and then lock them in for sleeping that night, or allow them more days to get used to the new coop?
20240111_182526.jpg

Hi,
We are almost done with a new coop build. The chickens will be getting an upgrade from a short 4'x 6' coop to a tall 8'x8'. I have 11 chickens. They'll have two 7.5ft roost bars. When it comes time to move them in, should I take them in there during the day to explore and then lock them in for sleeping that night, or allow them more days to get used to the new coop?View attachment 3728152
It’s really up to you, but I recommend getting them comfortable with it. Maybe sprinkling some scratch around to encourage them to go inside.

If chickens could talk, they would be saying “thanks so much for the new coop!” I don’t have experience in moving from one coop to another, but I’d consider letting them explore for a little while.

I agree, let them get used to it. Feed them in there. Only in there. Or, put the food in front of the door of the new coop a couple of days, then just inside the door for a couple days. Then, shut them in there at night. It might help to move their roost in there, if it is movable.

It’s really up to you, but I recommend getting them comfortable with it. Maybe sprinkling some scratch around to encourage them to go inside.
Yeah, I'll definitely start feeding them treats around and in it. Hopefully they go in! Maybe we'll carry a few of them in to sit for snuggles and see how they act with it over-all. Thanks!

I agree, let them get used to it. Feed them in there. Only in there. Or, put the food in front of the door of the new coop a couple of days, then just inside the door for a couple days. Then, shut them in there at night. It might help to move their roost in there, if it is movable.
Yeah, I'll definitely start feeding them treats in it. I usually like to make changes on a Friday night so I can observe them Saturday morning. Hopefully I have time in the days leading up to let them play in it. I think they're going to love it. Its such a better design than their current one. Thanks!

If chickens could talk, they would be saying “thanks so much for the new coop!” I don’t have experience in moving from one coop to another, but I’d consider letting them explore for a little while.
I think they're going to love it! I'll let them explore. I bought a little night light to leave on for a few minutes around roosting time to make sure they can see their new perches well. Their new perches will be so much easier for them to jump on than their previous ones. Hopefully there will be less bickering at bedtime and less stress for them!! I can't wait!

I think they're going to love it! I'll let them explore. I bought a little night light to leave on for a few minutes around roosting time to make sure they can see their new perches well. Their new perches will be so much easier for them to jump on than their previous ones. Hopefully there will be less bickering at bedtime and less stress for them!! I can't wait!
Thanks for being such a wonderful chicken mom! ❤️❤️❤️

This... I'd go out Tues, post an eviction notice on the old coop, Scoop them up and put them in the new coop with enough daylight still to wander around a while, scope it out and settle in. At dusk watch them get settled.
I toggle a flashlight on and off for the ones left on the floor to get them up on the roost. With it off they'll stop foraging and look to roost. On shows them the way. Or do your nightlight thing for them and see how it goes.
This locks them in til Friday when you can let them out and observe for your day off.
Edit... Forgot to quote @rosemarythyme but agreeing with that.

Back
Top Bottom