Charley....4months old rooster Marek/ intoxication/ neuro/growth issues?

ClaireDL

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 7, 2015
Southern Pines NC
Hey everyone....

My little Charley started to have a very tiny lameness oct. 24th. At first, I though he got into a sand spur.... I didn't see him on the following day as I injured myself pretty bad, but my husband told me he was ok...On tuesday the 27th of oct, I went to the coop and he was lying down...When he saw me he got up and went eating being lame...So I took him back home with me...

Here is a video of him on the 28th..At first, I thought it could may be just a growth issue, he's been putting so much feathers lately...I know, we had a history of coccidia in the past, but he had been treated for it. He was born in the same time than 2 other chicks and these ones are currently very healthy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3_Oh5gx9HbWFFMczJ2djVsOEk/view?usp=sharing

He got worse over the week end. The vet saw him on the 2d of nov, Before he even saw the bird, the vet told me it was marek disease that we could try anti-inflammatory. The next day, I called back the vet to ask him if it possibly could be lead poisoning..Vet suggested to try Calcium EDTA...The bird was already under vitamins / electrolytes/ probiotics supplements. After a day of calcium EDTA we saw some improvement...but nothing to claim he was normal again...So I was not sure if the vitB was what improved him or the anti-inflammatory or the calcium EDTA. I try to talk to my vet several days in a raw. I sent him this following video that was recorded nov. 4th...I had told the vet already, I was concerned about the laxity in his joints..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3_Oh5gx9HbeldXVS1VamVQSXc/view?usp=s

We can really see at the end of this video how his hocks can overflex.

Then he got worse again over the couple of days following. He gets really easily mad and when he does so, his hinds legs go straight towards the back very stiff. Not sure if it's tetany crisis or knee that gets blocked or seizures..The vet could not call for more calcium EDTA. He wanted to take an X ray. So we went back to the vet today to get some X rays. Vet wanted to put him done and have him autopsied. On the X ray, we can clearly see that the space in the knee joint is abnormally large..May be 10 times the normal space....nothing else was found on Xrays...We still got a blood sample to rule out any heavy metal toxicity, Results will be in a week. In the mean time, we're starting him back on calcium EDTA, and we keep him on vit. and electrolytes. If anyone has an idea...I would love to hear about it!
The last fecal test was negative.
Thank you

Make sure that his vitamins contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) There sure is a markedly increased problem walking between the first and second videos. I hope the calcium doesn't add to his problems. Please update your thread so that we can hear how your handsome little rooster is getting along.

I have a flock infected with Mareks. The state sadly confirmed this a few weeks back. Mareks causes swelling of the sciatic nerve, causing the lameness and swelling that is commonly associated with it. After having to watch 20+ birds die from it on my property this year alone, I do not think you have Mareks. Mine would have their extremities, including wings, become progressively paralyzed over the course of a few hours. Your bird more or less appears shakey. I think you would also see some lethargy and other symptoms at this point if it were Mareks. Mine all died within 24-48 hours of exhibiting symptoms. Brutal disease, we are shut down to the sale of live chickens for a while, as we couldnt bring ourselves to cull the otherwise healthy carriers. I think your looking at something more nutritional/growth related.

Thank for sharing your experience...I've been learning a lot about this disease and it's really scary. I'm really sorry you had lost yours...I would like to think that Charley's issue is really just orthopedic. And your contribution does help me!..The question is : is he going to grow out of it or not? I've been boosting him with so much vitamins and food that I'm even afraid to do too much...I do not have any swelling in the joints...But his case has become worse over the last week. He can stand but falls if he tries to walk. Sometimes he has some " cramps"...but staying lying down on such unstable joints, I would not be surprised. We are still trying a course of Calcium EDTA...just in case.However, if his joints issue is genetic, he may never grow out of it.

I wouldnt give up on him. I'd keep giving vitamin supplement, and maybe trying some light physical therapy as long as it doesnt hurt him. Especially where he doesnt seem to be able to walk much on his own, loss of muscle strength isn't going to help his situation. The joint thing is odd, I dont really know what to think about it. I know vitamin E has helped me with some muscle swelling in birds in the past, and you cant really overdose them on it. Not sure how much it will help, its just a thought. There is always the potential it is genetic and you may not be able to do much about it, in which case you may need to consider making a hard decision. Hopefully someone on here will have had a success story with a similar situation though!

Thank you Humblehen207..I'm gonna try!...My vet was so discouraging....All the more, this little one has been very special with us since the beginning. He's a really smart one, and love the human contact...It would be marek , I would think that the 2 others that grew with him would show symptoms..Everyone else is really healthy in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom