Chasing Flies! Hahhaa!!!

Kmack

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2015
Oh my goodness, this morning I got a huge scare that turned into hysterical laughter
gig.gif

My little lady Lucy (8ish week RIR) was running around the coop like she was drunk or something. She'd run and stumble a little, with her head cocking this way and that, and then just peck at the ground for a minute and do it all over. She seemed to respond appropriately when I put a treat down and when our older bully hen chased her off when she got too close but otherwise the drunken running continued. I squatted down, terrified there was something wrong with her and watched for a moment and realized that there was a fly just in front of her at all times (I'm in Australia and it's summer so there's lots of flies) and that she stumbled when she would lung and peck at the air and on occasion she actually got it and when she was pecking at the ground she was eating the fly! Oh how I wish I had gotten it on video. I had to keep watching for like 20 minutes and she just kept going on forever
lau.gif

Funniest thing I've seen all month.

Last edited:
You aren't kidding
tongue.png
. They find worms all the time and they all chase each other around. I have a compost pile in their yard and when one finds a cockroach or a worm it is so hilarious to watch. That baby bird chasing flies was the funniest thing I've seen yet though. So entertaining...
pop.gif

Hey Kmack I adore watching one of my broody’s, Cilla, teach her little ones to catch flies.

None of them actually chase or eat flies when they get bigger, including Cilla, but she seems to use the flies as a teaching aid
wink.png

Hey Kmack I adore watching one of my broody’s, Cilla, teach her little ones to catch flies.

None of them actually chase or eat flies when they get bigger, including Cilla, but she seems to use the flies as a teaching aid
wink.png
Haha, it's just too funny. They look like they've had a few too many. But really it's quite impressive how many they do catch!

After it rains here in Kenya, thousands of winged termites take to the skies - my chickens look like the ground keeps being electrocuted - jumping in the air trying to bag as many as they can!

CT

Tee hee CTKen I love the visual that conjures up
lau.gif

Ya gotta love their determination.

We have small moths on the lawn just on dusk; again, watching the gals zig zag across the lawn in an attempt to catch one is priceless.

It does makes me wonder why, when they bag a worm or something tasty, they tell the flock about it and then spend the next 10 minutes running around trying to keep their catch. The smart thing would be to just keep quiet and eat it
hu.gif

Tee hee CTKen I love the visual that conjures up
lau.gif

Ya gotta love their determination.

We have small moths on the lawn just on dusk; again, watching the gals zig zag across the lawn in an attempt to catch one is priceless.

It does makes me wonder why, when they bag a worm or something tasty, they tell the flock about it and then spend the next 10 minutes running around trying to keep their catch. The smart thing would be to just keep quiet and eat it
hu.gif

Yeah, but thats not as much fun as saying "see what i got and you lot are not even having a sniff of it!"
smile.png

CT

Oh my goodness CTKen I would love to see that haha! Wish you could post videos on this site.

Honestly, I think that they like to play chase. Just like my dog. He'll find something he knows the others want and go dangle it in front of them and then run around while they chase him. The chickens do the same thing! Silly birds.
roll.png

I'll see what i can do although the short rains are with us here, and have been for a few weeks so the winged termites have hatched and gone for now.
CT

Back
Top Bottom