Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Uggg, its killing me not knowing. They are Lavender, so all their combs look pink to me, kind of like my Lav Orps. Thanks though for answering my question.

You can post pictures

x2 I have Lavs... how old are they??

Y'all are killing me on this discussion right now. Sell, buy, barter, swap. That's what this thread practically is.

Oh... um... I thought this was the Enablers Anonymous thread... ;) :D

x2 I have Lavs... how old are they??
Oh... um... I thought this was the Enablers Anonymous thread...
wink.png
big_smile.png

Haha, love you guys on this thread!

They are 2 weeks old and got them from Bhep. And you all are definitely Enablers!

Ooohhh I love swapping. Sell a few now and then to help with the feed bill but LOVE LOVE LOVE swapping lol. The girls at work get a kick out of it. I have the eggs delivered to the office so I know they're there and safe. It's like a revolving door... eggs in, eggs out. Now whenever they see a box on my desk they ask if the "kids" are coming in or going out (I call them my feathered kids) :) They all love the multitude of egg colors they get in the eggs they get from me. So much fun!

So.... things have finally dried out, although a humongous mess is left behind. I want to get out there with my nursery wagon and a rake and shovel and start cleaning, but I can't do that yet. I have pens left filthy by the mud and flooding, and I have young poultry that are hugely crowded due to me being unable to get the grow pens finished out (I couldn't do anything outside, and if they had been finished, a bunch probably would have drowned).

So anyhow, I'm able to resume where I left off a few weeks ago. Weeks of normal work to catch up on, AND extra work due to the aftermath of the insane weather. And of course now it's getting hot. Oh joy. I'm feeling so overwhelmed.

I FINALLY got the first row of grow pens done this week. Here's a pic. Eventually there will be another row just like this one across from and facing them.

I have two sections occupied as of yesterday. If all goes well, I will have the other 4 occupied today. That's a bunch of young ones that will no longer be miserably overcrowded. Look at that dirt. It's DRY!!!!!!!!

Here's a view of the water system.

Behind that row of pens, there will be another row of smaller ones with smaller wire spacings backing up against it for smaller chicks. I plan to finish those out this week, and they will be occupied right away.

After all that's finished, I have Serama and quail cages to build and a ton more stuff to get done.

So.... things have finally dried out, although a humongous mess is left behind. I want to get out there with my nursery wagon and a rake and shovel and start cleaning, but I can't do that yet. I have pens left filthy by the mud and flooding, and I have young poultry that are hugely crowded due to me being unable to get the grow pens finished out (I couldn't do anything outside, and if they had been finished, a bunch probably would have drowned). So anyhow, I'm able to resume where I left off a few weeks ago. Weeks of normal work to catch up on, AND extra work due to the aftermath of the insane weather. And of course now it's getting hot. Oh joy. I'm feeling so overwhelmed. I FINALLY got the first row of grow pens done this week. Here's a pic. Eventually there will be another row just like this one across from and facing them. I have two sections occupied as of yesterday. If all goes well, I will have the other 4 occupied today. That's a bunch of young ones that will no longer be miserably overcrowded. Look at that dirt. It's DRY!!!!!!!! Here's a view of the water system. Behind that row of pens, there will be another row of smaller ones with smaller wire spacings backing up against it for smaller chicks. I plan to finish those out this week, and they will be occupied right away. After all that's finished, I have Serama and quail cages to build and a ton more stuff to get done.
I love that set up! What is that wire you're using?

I love that set up! What is that wire you're using?

The bigger grow pens are these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OVUBOAK

Yes I know they're expensive, which is why I get one at a time, and not every month (been taking a long time accumulating them).

But I have no transportaion to get lumber, and I have rheumatoid arthritis, so hammering lumber just about kills me. So I found something that's easy to put together, and probably not all that much more expensive than if I had to buy the lumber, the welded wire, and the hardware.

The smaller pens I'm making out of an old dog exercise pen I got at a flea market for $10 about 25 years ago. That thing has been reconfigured time and again to make every kind of pen and cage you can imagine.

I have 1/2" hardware cloth for the apron to thwart raccoons (also from Amazon). I had to start making aprons after raccoons reached through 2x1 welded wire to pull wings, legs and heads off of chickens.

The smaller pens also have 1x1 hardware cloth on the ends and back. Again, from Amazon. The small row is going to be very well reinforced. I'll take a pic after I'm finished with it.

Back
Top Bottom