Cheapest hatchery?

At the last auction I went to they sold day-old chicks (mixed or a few "pure" breeds) for $1 or $2 each. It is risky that way though. No idea what type of situation/degree of cleanliness, they come from. I got some from our local Agway and from MMH. Sold the extras at the auction and made enough money to buy all of them - got mine free.

have any of yall tried xtreme gamebirds. they are here in texas and ive used them the past 2 years but like ideal and a lot of others they got hit this spring so its slowly coming back. seems the diy movement has been positive for hatcheries which i give
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
. but anyways they are good people and worth dealing with.

Last edited:
Quote:
I got my order last year from XTreme. They were so nice. They even offered to identify chicks for me via email.. And she gave me her cellphone number to contact her. The chicks were all happy, healthy, and really great quality for a hatchery.. I want to order a batch of Speckled Sussex and Welsummers from then, as mine got eaten by a fox.

I have had the most luck with welp, i-deal, and Mt.Healthy. Last time I ordered from Cackle I was Extremely unhappy
sad.png
over 50% of them died with 72 hours and kept on dying
hmm.png
. But it may have just been a bad batch
roll.png

Good Luck!
smile.png

Yes. I tried everything. My family has raised chickens for over 70 years and those are just the purebreds. I called them and even spoke with a rep there. They replaced like 40 of them, but Like I said before though, it may have just been a bad batch.
smile.png

well i think the best advice is to buy localor within state. seems like there are many good hatcheries all around and most of the small guys will work with you to get your businessand dont be afraid to google. just type in your state and the word hatchery. youll get hits galore. at least i do but texas is chicken country lol

i should have an order coming from Cackle on Friday. you are making me concerned. this will be my first experience ordering from any hatchery. (i've been hatching eggs since mid-feb09)

though i have some of the rare breeds coming and i know everywhere else seemed to be sold out on them. i am hoping that i get everyone to arrive safe and healthy from them.

so far i have heard that Ideal is the best place from the locals we do chicken swaps with. but pullets are becoming hard to get through them.

Back
Top Bottom