Small order hatcheries

chickndays

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Are there any reputable hatcheries that will ship 6 chicks and allow you to pick more than a single breed (often seems to be a 5 chicks per breed limit)? Also with reasonable small order fees? Can't have more due to city limit. :hmm I don't want to risk being reported by neighbors or having chickens taken away.
(I'm leery of TSC after all I've heard about it)

Check out Mt. Healthy. I think you can order as few as 3 chicks, and mix-and-match. They're in Cincinnati, OH.

One caveat: They do have a "small order fee" of $30. I don't know if that applies to orders of 6, but I'd guess it does.

I ordered from them last year because they had the breed I wanted, and I could order 3 chicks. I ordered 4, got 5, and had a great experience. I would definitely order from them again.

Check out Mt. Healthy. I think you can order as few as 3 chicks, and mix-and-match. They're in Cincinnati, OH.

One caveat: They do have a "small order fee" of $30. I don't know if that applies to orders of 6, but I'd guess it does.

I ordered from them last year because they had the breed I wanted, and I could order 3 chicks. I ordered 4, got 5, and had a great experience. I would definitely order from them again.
I definitely liked this option. I was pretty excited too when I saw their Australorp/Rhode Island Red cross, which is the two beds we were looking at.

Are there any reputable hatcheries that will ship 6 chicks and allow you to pick more than a single breed (often seems to be a 5 chicks per breed limit)? Also with reasonable small order fees? Can't have more due to city limit. :hmm I don't want to risk being reported by neighbors or having chickens taken away.
(I'm leery of TSC after all I've heard about it)
McMurray hatchery fits that description, depending on what you consider "reasonable" for small order fees.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/6minimum.html

"Mix and match as few as one each of any standard breed when placing an order for as few as six total day-old baby chicks. To ensure safe shipping, small orders of 6-14 chicks are eligible to ship from April 1 – October 31 each season. A small order charge of $35 is applied to all orders of less than 15 baby chicks"

(If anyone is reading this thread in future years: check the details before you order, because hatcheries do sometimes change their policies. I quoted part of what is on the website on this day, March 16 of 2024.)

We had great luck with cackle hatchery based in Missouri. We got 3 and got to select different breeds. It is similar to the previously mention shipping rates-roughly $30.
I agree that if you can connect with others locally you can ask to combine an order and split the shipping cost.

Back
Top Bottom