Check this coop please?

Looks like a nice coop. How many chickens are you planning? How large is this coop & run?

The things I would add or change...

Add a window or two. Will they need to be in due often due to snow or rain? Cold isn't so much a issue as is heat. Ventilation is very important and those two small windows won't provide enough.

Add ventilation near the roof. This allows the warm, moist air and ammonia from droppings to escape.

Raise the roost (so it's higher than the nest boxes, or the chickens will be sleeping in them).

We have a covered run, I originally hadn't planned that but Hubby insisted. So glad we did! Our wintes and springs are very wet and it allows for the chickens to be out all day, even in bad weather and provides shade in summer.

Good luck on your new adventure!

I'm looking to have 6 hens. So I'm going to be modifying this coop and run to apply to the 4 and 10 guidelines.

I'm in Ontario where our winters are fairly wet and snowy. I was planning on adding additional vents close to the roof. Also do you think covered run is that important? The coop will be right under a big tree if that will help at all?

Trying to save costs wherever we can
@ChickenMammX4

Typically roofing nails come through, are they protruding into the coop? Someone will spook off the roost and get hurt if so.

I agree with needing a LOT more ventilation and it is small.

Typically roofing nails come through, are they protruding into the coop? Someone will spook off the roost and get hurt if so.

I agree with needing a LOT more ventilation and it is small.

Oh I didn't think about the roof and nails! Thanks for pointing that out. It will be 5x4x4 and the run 12x5

A little cosy inside the coop but the run is 10 per bird.

If you extend the rafters, you will end up with a nice overhang and can leave the eaves open (covered with hardware cloth) for ventilation.

Yes I forgot to add I was going to do this! Not sure how to overhang the front though. Actually not sure how to do the roof at all

You can always switch it so the roof goes to the sides instead? You may want to increase the pitch anyway since you're in a heavy snowfall area. Definitely want to make sure the roof doesn't block the opening of the door!

On my phone so hard to type but after another look the colors might be the only thing OK with that coop. I wouldn't copy any of it. I will go into more detail later but that thing is way too heavy in some ways and the leg attachment not good, and the pop door should be elevated and the drastically insufficient ventilation not sheltered from rain and snow. Looks nice but.......

On my phone so hard to type but after another look the colors might be the only thing OK with that coop. I wouldn't copy any of it. I will go into more detail later but that thing is way too heavy in some ways and the leg attachment not good, and the pop door should be elevated and the drastically insufficient ventilation not sheltered from rain and snow. Looks nice but.......

Oh no! We're going to purchase materials tomorrow. I get chicks Monday and need to start construction!

We've never built a structure before. I'm looking for an elevated 4x6 coop. Help. I don't want to make something that won't be good for the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom