Check this coop please?

Is it just the weight of the snow to worry about?

I'm starting to get overwhelmed thinking we can't do this! I'm supposed to be getting chicks Monday! I'm worried now
@yochickiemomma

It will be fine. Ask for advice on this site and you get a deluge of information. Sorting through it all to find out what will work for you and your circumstances can get pretty overwhelming. When in doubt, you can always go basic and do the tweaks later. It's a bit easier to figure it all in advance, but you're under a time crunch so there may have to be some compromises.

I have 6 layers in a 4x5'6" coop with 5x10 4ft high run and after 2 winter months in one spot the run is starting to smell, coop needs some more ventilation as the deep litter is starting to smell of ammonia. I wish I had covered the run with a permanent roof, I tarped it three sides for winter to combat blowing snow. I used polycarbonate corrogated panels for the roof, white, they let loads of light in and weigh nothing.

This is not a house, the framing in the linked coop is serious overkill and the leg attachment would easily be ripped off in trying to move the thing, screws into endgrain is weak.

This was my second attempt and this is a movable two piece tractor and I will be adding some ventilation and exterior nestboxes to the coop and likely roosts and nestbox to the run .
The sides are 1/4" plywood to keep it lite enough to move easily. Just as soon as the yard starts to come alive they are being moved off the garden onto grass. Framing is 2x2s in the corners and top and 2x4s under the floor. House like framing is just excess weight as is thick heavy sheeting.
Wish I had done a pitched away from the door permanent roof on the run with overhangs.
Wish I had gone bigger on the coop in particular.
Wish the run door was surface mount not inset as it binds with snowload on the tarped roof.
Needs more ventilation, been locking them out of the coop evening so I can open the coop doors for an hour to dry the bedding, it isn't wet but does smell of ammonia a bit.
The aligned openings between the coop and run each have a door so I can lock them in either even if I split the two pieces apart.

If permanently placed it would be easier to give them access to the under coop area. Since I didn't want to try and move one unit over 14' long I make it two piece.

I did a small tractor 3x8 with 4x4 coop and have silkies in that now, it was a good grow out pen and a chance to learn some lessons before building the second. I would suggest doing a tractor first to use as a grow out pen and to get some mistakes out of the way, can also later serve as a segregation pen or in case of damage to the main coop, or as I did in support of a chicken math problem.

I don't have plans for what I built and wouldn't necessarily share them if I did because I am still not entirely happy with it.

Things to pay attention to, make sure the roof doesn't pitch toward your access points, or you will get wetter in the rain. Keep even the coop door elevated or snow will interfere. Pop door between coop and run should be elevated so bedding isn't spilling out. Roost height needs to be below ventilation but deep enough for them to walk under at full height even with a few inches of litter.

Are you getting pullets or chicks? If chicks you have time before you need a coop and run. If pullets and inexperienced at building, you aren't going to be ready Monday. Adequate tool supply? Drill/screwgun with several batteries, circular saw and at least an edge guide, squares, jig saw etc?

You can do this, just have to be prepared to make mistakes and work through them.

Don't over think it that was problem I was thinking about structural integrity to much each hen will weigh about 6lbs so at most there will be 36-40lbs in the coop. If you use 3/4" plywood as a base for that small of a roof you won't have to worry

Ok! I've designed another coop! Please let me know what you think?!!

Looks great, like already said if you can design you dimensions to cut as little possible it will save time and money.

Is it just the weight of the snow to worry about?

I'm starting to get overwhelmed thinking we can't do this! I'm supposed to be getting chicks Monday! I'm worried now
@yochickiemomma

Don't panic. The chicks can stay inside your house in a large box or tub for the first 4 or 5 weeks. We moved ours to the coop at around 4 weeks old. The run wasn't finished for another 4 weeks or so after that. The weather was still cool enough that being confined to the coop wasn't an issue. :hugs

Don't panic. The chicks can stay inside your house in a large box or tub for the first 4 or 5 weeks. We moved ours to the coop at around 4 weeks old. The run wasn't finished for another 4 weeks or so after that. The weather was still cool enough that being confined to the coop wasn't an issue. :hugs

Thanks! It feels overwhelming. I'm a perfectionist and I'm also still so uneducated in what they need so I'm trying to not panic about time. Trying to remember to have fun but I also don't want huge birds taking over my house lol. I have a 5 month old and a 2 year old to take care of! I don't need chickens running around too lol

Back
Top Bottom