Checked way overdue eggs, all didn't absorb yolk, all dead:humidity?

I started incubating more than 6yrs ago, humidity was necessary but not watched so close, temp was, you filled the tray kept water in it if the window steams up you opened the vent, at hatch you stop your turner, placed the eggs on the floor of the incubator, filled the tray and turned your back for 3 days. you kept your temp between 99.5 to 100.5. I still follow this way now. I don't get wrapped chicks, I get great hatches, in my living room, basement, dining room and kitchen. all have different room temps. I have wood heat.

if i have a problem I think like a hen, a hen doesn't sit on a wet spot/wet rag, to get the humidity up the last 3 days, they don't even count, I've had a hen sit 3 month straight. they get off the nest, they don't hold still 3 days. I have messed up when incubating, and it has still turned out well, to my surprise.

check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=462892

incubation
is not perfect, alot of thing can go wrong, eggs, humidity, the incubator it self, being impatient, temp, the thermometer reads wrong, ect.....remember what will be will be

Last edited:
i work at a school and one of the teachers bought a little giant incubator with egg turner an little fan the whole nine yards,he had like 27 eggs but the bator would run out of water very quickly hard to keep humidity right,any way one egg is chirping an pips but it couldn't get past a large hole it made stayed like that for hours,then we got worried decided to help cause the head was still in the shell,the white skin part was dried an on the baby so we got a cloth moistened it up got the white skin stuff off but now it seems as part of the abdomen didn't absorb,baby is still alive in his room in brooder box,looks like a turkin chick no idea where he got his eggs,but any way no other eggs hatched as of yet no pipping no movement of any kind,so i was wondering should the fan be off at lock down or does he keep it going or what i have a still air that i made out of a ice cooler an do good with mine but i never have used one with a fan an all that egg turner stuff,I'm curious as to what may have caused this ,as Mr A's class room is so exited with the baby

It also depends on shipped eggs or not. I just had a hatch finish. All my eggs and my friend's eggs hatched. The shipped eggs all died with unabsorbed yolks. I incubate dry so humidity is not a factor. However, shipping trauma is!

That being said, Your initial 18 day humidity is too high, IMO. But again, I dry hatch so only the ambient humidity is present. I don't beleive that a 60% humidity on day 19 was a problem. I hatch between 60-70%.
Mine all died.Day 18 all alive,day 21 dead.I dry hatched shipped eggs.All -no pips,wet and all developed but egg yolks unabsorbed.What did I do wrong?

Back
Top Bottom