Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I have increased my flock this year by incubating my own chicken's eggs. I've also filled a freezer with the non pullets. :(

I have put my last two groups out at one week in the coop with a heating pad. they are in their own cage until they decide which my last bites started perching at three weeks! I mean, up high. I was impressed. They do get a little run during the day for a week but after two weeks old the older chickens are used to them and I let the pecking order start. So far, all good. saves time, and money on feed. I do free range all my fowl. Still learning.

Safety holes are a last ditch effort with a hatch. From what I have seen, Many do this way to early. With chicken eggs, that would be a day or two after the last one hatched to check the eggs that are left.

I like to let them hatch on their own as much as possible. Assisting in the hatch, more times than not, leads to an unhealthy chick that you have to cull.

I would expect you to see pips soon in the eggs. Then they can take a long break. You should look it up, but from what I remember, it can be a day or two (even more) after the pip.
It had been two days since I hear him chirping and no sign of external pip
And I suspect he is in a wrong position too as the Air cell is on the side of the egg not on top.

I did end up helping and peeled a little shell off ( my son is really hoping for a gosling to care for ) but he is not ready
I was really worried about him running out of air 2 days after it's internally pipped. I only peeled the outer membrane on the fat end but I don't see his head there. I'm leaving him in there now till I see no vein on the inner membrane.

I can't remember when they start to use their lung to breath, is it when they externally pipped or internally pipped
Now I'm kinda thinking it's the external pip

Good luck! I hope you have a good hatch.

I am really hoping mine hatch well because my geese got wiped out in that dog attack I posted about a few posts back. And these eggs are from a woman who bought two pairs from me a couple years ago, so they're from my line.
Ohhh I really hope yours goes well !! I love geese

I don't have really high hope on my eggs this time as I didn't really collect them on time. Some has been left out in the freezing nights.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello, its been a long while. I am finishing up my masters degree so it has been a busy time for me. I now have 19 chickens and a potbelly pig. Hope all of you are doing well!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Thanks for the message! I have been busy. I'm renovating the chicken coop, and I've had a bunch of friends helping me do it. And one of them became my boyfriend. 😅 At the moment, I'm watching a snake digest an egg and I'm fascinated. 👀

Thanks for the message! I have been busy. I'm renovating the chicken coop, and I've had a bunch of friends helping me do it. And one of them became my boyfriend. 😅 At the moment, I'm watching a snake digest an egg and I'm fascinated. 👀

Messenger_creation_77bfb8c6-05d7-44b1-a88a-39bb9d81b993.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom