Cherry Egger

Bucky182

Songster
10 Years
Dec 1, 2009
Do any of you have this bird? I have raised red sexlink, Indian Rivers (Which I love) and Barred rocks. Was not thrilled with the Red Sexlink or the Barred Rock but the Indian Rivers where calm, white, and laid lots of jumbo eggs. I have been thinking about the Cherry Egger and wondered what you guys thought of them. I am not looking at one or two but 50-100 birds. So are they docile, do they lay well, are they hardy and what size egg do they lay?
wink.png

I did not find much information on them, but they are just a production breed like production red (just with a different label). No personal experience with the breed.

Last edited:
I have three Cherry Eggers - they just started to lay and are laying just as well as the production reds. Which is what they are really. A cross between a RIR and a New Hampshire, correct? My only concern is that all my 8 new layers are laying small eggs. It's been a month and I'm still getting little eggs. I sure hope the eggs come up to size. My worry is that the chicks I got (which came to me from someone who had ordered them from a certain hatchery which I will not name) have banty blood in them. Surely not? Do hatcherys carefully keep their full size hens away from their banty roosters?? But they are good layers- I'm getting an egg a day off everybody.
Starting with 50 to 100 birds of a breed you are not familiar with is a daunting undertaking. That said however, it's hard to go wrong with the production red family (RIRs/NHs/CEs etc) as long as you're certain they come from good stock.

I have two Cherry Eggers. This is my first flock, so I have no previous experience with chickens, but I love our two. Their eggs are a nice, creamy tan color (if that matters to you), and our girls are very reliable producers. They both started laying in October, and their eggs were a nice size from the beginning. One of them has laid several double yolks, and this is the only breed we have to have done this. I think they are quite nice and docile, but I interact with them quite a bit. I would definitely have them in my flock again, and I really like the lighter color of their egg compared to my other brown egg layers.

Cherry eggers are very sweet, prolithic egg layers, reach maturity quickly and are really beautiful birds. I have six at the moment along with various other breeds. They seem docile and get along with the buff orphington, silkies, barred Plymouth Rock and a few cochins that I have. I adore them.

Back
Top Bottom