Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
Ahh, I suspected it might be possible......never had one in my hands so wasn't sure.

I'm still not on the bandwagon that a bugle head deck screw is the equivalent of a washer head pocket hole screw. It works but half the time I've tried it I end up splitting the board. Maybe I'm an overtightener. I think I invented another word.
lau.gif

Quote: Overtightener is an old word....haha!...you got to have the touch, man!
Overbuilt is another old one ;-)

I don't think equivalency was ever part of this discussion.
Using a bugle head in a kreg pilot hole might indeed be inadvisable and easily overtightened....
.....I don't know, haven't ever touched one and have my doubts. I would like to borrow a set to play with.

Pocket joinery is no doubt elegant, and can be essential or at least advantageous depending on what's being fastened for what use. I had my brooder panels(meant to be broken down and stored flat) built by a buddy who has a kreg, why I had him build it, and he did a great job.

But then he added some rabbets on the end panels, unnecessary and possible easily damaged in storage but OK, then proceeded to attach wholly inapplicable monster latches that split one of the rabbet tongues due to poor pilot hole drilling.....SHM.... I removed the latches and drilled Csink pilots and put the thing together with drywall screws like originally planned, works great!

It's best to use the tools, and fasteners, that fit the application.....there's a range, some overbuild, some barely build.
As long as it functions well in it's use, is all that matters to me most of the time.
The same guy who built my brooder panels quoted William Morris:
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"
That, IMO, says it all.

Now I need to go cobble piece of cardboard onto the nest cover to keep the chicks out of there tonite...gonna use 1" drywall screws ;-)

Last edited:
Overtightener is an old word....haha!...you got to have the touch, man!
Overbuilt is another old one ;-)

I don't think equivalency was ever part of this discussion.
Using a bugle head in a kreg pilot hole might indeed be inadvisable and easily overtightened....
.....I don't know, haven't ever touched one and have my doubts. I would like to borrow a set to play with.

Pocket joinery is no doubt elegant, and can be essential or at least advantageous depending on what's being fastened for what use. I had my brooder panels(meant to be broken down and stored flat) built by a buddy who has a kreg, why I had him build it, and he did a great job.

But then he added some rabbets on the end panels, unnecessary and possible easily damaged in storage but OK, then proceeded to attach wholly inapplicable monster latches that split one of the rabbet tongues due to poor pilot hole drilling.....SHM.... I removed the latches and drilled Csink pilots and put the thing together with drywall screws like originally planned, works great!

It's best to use the tools, and fasteners, that fit the application.....there's a range, some overbuild, some barely build.
As long as it functions well in it's use, is all that matters to me most of the time.
The same guy who built my brooder panels quoted William Morris:
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"
That, IMO, says it all.

Now I need to go cobble piece of cardboard onto the nest cover to keep the chicks out of there tonite...gonna use 1" drywall screws ;-)

Lol on the drywall screws. Agree 100% with the rest.
lau.gif

Hey, they work!
I built my entire coop with drywall and/or deck screws....
.....and all the HC on the eaves is attached with drywall screws, I did order perfectly sized washers from McMaster-Carr tho.

Hey, they work!
I built my entire coop with drywall and/or deck screws....
.....and all the HC on the eaves is attached with drywall screws, I did order perfectly sized washers from McMaster-Carr tho.

I have some drywall screws in my stuff. They've been there for 20ish years. I'll mail them to ya. Terry = screw snob.
lau.gif

Quote:
Now you guys are really making me want one.

I also found one in a mid point price range. A little more user friendly than the minimal one I posted before, but a lot less money than the one Terry posted: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kreg-Jig...gclid=CJiitNuyv8wCFUk6gQodJa8JoA&gclsrc=aw.ds

My daughter's boyfriend does a lot of woodworking. I'm going to ask him if he has one, and what he recommends. I told my husband I wanted one for Mother's Day. He said he has thought of buying one in the past, but didn't think he would use it enough to justify the expense. Maybe he will want to buy me one, cuz then it will be around if he does need it.
wink.png

I asked for a table saw for the last two Christmases, but I don't think he thought I was serious.

I have done it in a pinch but I've had issues with the deck screws splitting out the holes especially in softer woods. I usually just order my Kreg screws from Amazon.
then your screwing too hard..........
wink.png

if your torque is set properly, it shouldn't be a problem.

I use the correct length screw, in what ever style, in cedar all the time. and as long as you don't over tighten, it works fine

We have a large drawer full of boxes of screws of every size and description. But it seems like every project I do requires me to go buy a different kind.
roll.png

Agree. That's why I have given up to keeping a supply of screws, bolts and such on hand. It's an initial investment but now I pretty much have what I need without having to stop and go buy something. I have dedicated drawers in my bench with the fasteners I use frequently.

23873993441_8d656fb843_c.jpg

8545898394_e311999a63_b.jpg

I think I'm actually done sanding, priming, sanding some more and painting the assorted things for the inside of the coop. Pretty much covered about every part of the shop that I could to get the roosts, doors, nests boxes and poop board final painted on every side. What a project!!

26218554894_f73f61e43f_c.jpg

26218557384_b3b81bcb4f_c.jpg

26218560664_ce26efb601_c.jpg

Guess I should enjoy seeing the poop board this pristine. lol...
lau.gif

26824064315_b180ec3970_c.jpg

The plan is to get everything back in the coop on Saturday, fill the poop tray with PDZ, 4" or 5" of wood shavings on the floor, get the feeders and the waterer in and integrate the 2 groups of chicks. Should be an interesting day.

Back
Top Bottom