Winterized run and ventilation, Montana

BitterrootChickenLady

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
Victor Montana
We live in western montana. We had temps down to -25 degrees during the day, and -35 in the evening, this winter. I am going to build a coop and run this summer, for chcikens next year. I plan to build a covered run 20' x 8' x 6' h. I was going to use 6mil clear plastic greenhouse sheeting from the ground up to 5.5' or higher, to allow some venting but keep most the warmth in, so they can be in the run during the days, not stuck in the coop.
With those very freezing temps, would you wrap all coop run sides 6' high? Or how high for ventilation?

I live up in Canada on the Ontario-Quebec border. Our daytime winter temperatures average -15C/5F with short periods of -30C/-22F.

I have a covered run (metal roof) 8' high on the north side, 12' on the south facing front. Walls are HC. I wrap the North, East and West walls with white tarps for the winter and use clear plastic tablecloth (comes in 50" width by 100' length, bought by the linear foot, thicker than 6mm but ?). The tarps I use are 8' by 10' and cost about $8; 30' of the clear plastic was almost $100. The tarps lasts 3-4 years, the clear plastic has just come through a second winter and might work for a 3rd.

I leave the top 4' of the 12' front open for ventilation but there is also lots of leakage between the tarps and on corners as well. I remove the tarps and plastic once Spring arrives.

Economy was a factor in deciding on this course.

I live up in Canada on the Ontario-Quebec border. Our daytime winter temperatures average -15C/5F with short periods of -30C/-22F.

I have a covered run (metal roof) 8' high on the north side, 12' on the south facing front. Walls are HC. I wrap the North, East and West walls with white tarps for the winter and use clear plastic tablecloth (comes in 50" width by 100' length, bought by the linear foot, thicker than 6mm but ?). The tarps I use are 8' by 10' and cost about $8; 30' of the clear plastic was almost $100. The tarps lasts 3-4 years, the clear plastic has just come through a second winter and might work for a 3rd.

I leave the top 4' of the 12' front open for ventilation but there is also lots of leakage between the tarps and on corners as well. I remove the tarps and plastic once Spring arrives.

Economy was a factor in deciding on this course.
Thank you! You haven't had any frostbite? I don't want to heat the coop or run, if i don't have to. Do you heat it? What litter do you use in the coop and run?

Yes to frostbite but a consequence of high humidity in the coop not the run. Also my fault as a consequence of closing the ventilation too much and affecting only birds with large combs & wattles (get cold tolerant breeds!!). Watch for any frost buildup on the inside of coop walls.

I do not add heat to either the coop or run,

I use pine shavings in the coop, 6-10" deep bedding changed once per year in the spring (I also have drop boards under the roosts cleaned daily).

In the run I use deep litter method. I started with coarse mulch preferably with small branches embedded. Since that base I add as much leaves, needles, grass, etc as I can gather from the property, fall is the best time to do this. I have never removed anything from the run just keep adding organic material.

Have you looked at the Woods style coops? Excellent for cold climates!!! See "My Coop" for an example. Scalable for from 10 to 40 chickens. There are a number of examples herein.

Best of luck!

In the first year, we use clear table cloth sheets - they did not last through the winter wind in NJ, easily ripped.) Second year I bought the clear marine vinyl sheeting, a little more expensive but much much better, easy to hang (we use paint sticks and roofing screws to staple the sheet in). Reusable each year. This is the third year we use the same vinyl.

I bought them on sale. 20 gauge, $ by yard, I bought 72" width. $11/yard

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/products/clear-marine-vinyl?variant=32074940874836

screws:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-9-...Point-Roofing-Screws-120-Pack-21400/100128842

We also pre-drilled the paint sticks in a stack (they came in all wrapped in plastic, cheap).

Now our young chickens roost in the run even in winter - it's supposed to be there living room, not bedroom!! We couldn't convince them to go in the coops. The vinyl keeps the run as warm as their coop! NJ does not get too cold normally. Single digits in the coldest nights. Almost never go below 0 F.

Back
Top Bottom