Winterized Run and it STINKS!

Chickenlynnie

Hatching
Mar 5, 2023
Hello! I’m new to the chicken life and getting ready for winter in cold, windy and snowy central NY. I have a 150 sq foot run for 10 birds. We live in the woods with lots of predators so we built a run/coop like Fort Knox and don’t let the birds free range. Our soil is well drained sand and gravel, so mud has not been a problem in the run, despite plenty of lake-effect rain.

I recently covered the top of the run with clear-ish tarp and the most of the sides with 6mm plastic to give the girls a snow-free space for winter. I left the screen door uncovered, as well as the 3 short sides under the raised coop so they could have ventilation and a view.

Now my previously clean smelling run STINKS. I think the copious amounts of rain we get plus my well drained soil were keeping it nice and fresh when it was uncovered.

I rake it out every couple of days, and sprinkle some lime but it doesn’t really help. How do you all keep your plastic-wrapped, winterized runs from smelling?

Hello! I’m new to the chicken life and getting ready for winter in cold, windy and snowy central NY. I have a 150 sq foot run for 10 birds. We live in the woods with lots of predators so we built a run/coop like Fort Knox and don’t let the birds free range. Our soil is well drained sand and gravel, so mud has not been a problem in the run, despite plenty of lake-effect rain.

I recently covered the top of the run with clear-ish tarp and the most of the sides with 6mm plastic to give the girls a snow-free space for winter. I left the screen door uncovered, as well as the 3 short sides under the raised coop so they could have ventilation and a view.

Now my previously clean smelling run STINKS. I think the copious amounts of rain we get plus my well drained soil were keeping it nice and fresh when it was uncovered.

I rake it out every couple of days, and sprinkle some lime but it doesn’t really help. How do you all keep your plastic-wrapped, winterized runs from smelling?
Good question! We got a ton of rain and my pen started stinking to the high heavens despite raking it out the day before. The covered areas don't dry as quickly, or they just simply trap the stink under the covering. I would love to know what can be done

I don't plastic wrap. My birds choose to go out into the snow if they want.

Also I use leaves, pine needles, & or wood chips in my coop(s) runs. Makes an earthy smell, no stink.
I use leaves & pine needles when I can, but not too many trees on my property. Last year we had some serious snowfalls and I had to shovel a walkway - the birds looked at me like I did it! ( musta been her - she's always messing with the run!)😂

I use leaves & pine needles when I can, but not too many trees on my property. Last year we had some serious snowfalls and I had to shovel a walkway - the birds looked at me like I did it! ( musta been her - she's always messing with the run!)😂
We have lots of trees. So no shortage with the run litter.

Our soil is well drained sand and gravel, so mud has not been a problem in the run, despite plenty of lake-effect rain.
Do you have any bedding in the run?
Coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer will take care of breaking down the poops and greatly reduce odors.
Best of you have space on your land to store the large truckload they might bring.
then you can add an inch or so as needed to the run. Has worked here for 10 years.

full

2 loads:
full

With some dry fall leaves added in:
full

Can you try uncovering about a foot at the top of each of the other walls? That would let a lot more air flow in and out, but should still block wind at bird-level while also blocking most snow.

I also agree with the suggestions to add wood chips and/or dry leaves and/or pine needles and/or whatever similar things are available.

Back
Top Bottom