Chick behavior

K813ZRA

Songster
5 Years
Mar 29, 2016
Pennsylvania
Can you sex chicks based on their behavior? I mean, I ordered all pullets in one particular breed (Welsummer) but I have one that reminds me of the roo from my last batch of chicks. This chick is very sassy. Pounces on other chicks, charges my hand and puffs up its chest. All at 5 days old. It is cute as can be but I want to nip that in the bud! I had a roo act like this last time around and he turned out to be evil from the get-go! As a precaution this chick is getting loads of attention. :p Maybe I can win it over with kindness.

Anyway, I don't mind one way or the other as I like having roos around. So long as they are not evil, then they go in the stock pot...But I am curious if maybe I am just reading too much into this.

Also, is simple handling enough to chill out a sassy chick or is that just going to be a part of its personality?

You know, it is funny. This is my fifth batch of chicks and I learn a lot of things every time I raise more! Mostly thanks to everyone on here!

Thank you.

As far as I know, you can’t sex them solely based off of behaviour. But Welsummer are an autosexing breed, you can sex them at day old. Even with a poor quality line, you’ll be able to sex them when their chests feather in at around 3 weeks.
4182E3CB-3FCC-4CE1-8445-9A2FC1BE9FFC.jpeg

The one circled in red is a cockerel.

I don’t know much on behaviour but I think personality does largely depend on breed, so I’m not sure if handling would have an effect.

As far as I know, you can’t sex them solely based off of behaviour. But Welsummer are an autosexing breed, you can sex them at day old. Even with a poor quality line, you’ll be able to sex them when their chests feather in at around 3 weeks. View attachment 1299814
The one circled in red is a cockerel.

I don’t know much on behaviour but I think personality does largely depend on breed, so I’m not sure if handling would have an effect.

See, I learned something new! I had no idea they were auto sexing. So I think I should probably have got all pullets as what I ordered and she is just sassy!.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom