Does the type of brooder affect your chicks' behavior/handleability?

lizms

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
Trying to find info on this but coming up short. I'm curious what people's experiences are raising chickens in standard 'dark' brooders (i.e. a Rubbermaid bin where they only opening is on top) vs. more 'open' or clear walled brooders (i.e. glass or grating where chicks can see a lot more of what's happening) and if anyone's noticed a difference in the chicks' behavior? Our first flock we raised in a clear aquarium (we only had a few) and they turned out to be pretty easy to handle/snuggly/less fearful than the second batch that we raised in a big gray tub. My hypothesis is that raising them in an 'open' brooder exposes them to more things visually and they grow up less scared, but I'm dealing with some small sample sizes and other factors that could be causing the differences in behavior (the second batch were all silkies/showgirls and I think once we introduced them to the big hens they got way more fearful cuz the big girls bully them a bit). I have a small backyard flock and they're basically my pets, so am trying to ensure my next batch is as snuggly as possible. And yes, I'm aware that snuggling them is not medically advisable and I accept my future salmonella fate.

Does anyone else notice a difference in open vs. dark brooders?

Maybe not so much with transparent vs opaque sides, but many folks on here feel chicks do better with side opening brooders vs top opening, which is something similar. If they can see you coming, it's less scary for them than having you suddenly appear and reach in from the top to grab them.

Back
Top Bottom