Chick boredom

Awesome that was my next question. Currently they are only eating medicated chick crumbles but I want to give them treats such as feeder insects. I know petco has bird grit so I will buy that and add a little on top of their crumbles on days I give insects. Thank you

Grit is only needed if you feed them things other than their chick starter. Anything NOT water soluble will need grit.

You can go to any pet shop and purchase Parakeet grit. It comes in a small box.  It's basically sand. Don't leave a bowl of it out as chicks can sometimes think it is food and will fill their crops and can die. Just a heavy sprinkling on some food, as if you are over salting a plate of food. It doesn't take much grit for their tiny gizzards. 

https://www.amazon.com/Advantek-Ori...F8&qid=1473017255&sr=1-25&keywords=dog+kennel

it's really a "dog kennel", but too small for my little one. Started with 2 laying 3-4 month old girls (free ranging during the day), but they've got the big girl enclosure now. This is great for the babies because there's plenty of room. I have 2 feeders, 2 waterers, a sand bath tub, a roosting bar and plenty of room to play in. The top can be tied down which is great, but also can be left open so you can look in on them from up top. Here's a picture from "up top" and an angle view showing the top too.

Thanks so much, that is a great space, I guess you would have to put something around the sides if you had small baby chicks, those little bugers can squeze thru anything! But I really like it.
Marie

Thanks so much, that is a great space, I guess you would have to put something around the sides if you had small baby chicks, those little bugers can squeze thru anything! But I really like it.
Marie

definitely. In my particular case, they are on my screened in porch during daylight hours (when I am home), and in my garage at night. Now, if they were outside with my other hens, I definitely would have this totally covered in 1/4" hardwire. But, since the main culprits here in Tampa are possums (hate them!), and they come out at night, well, it'd be hard for one of them dirty vermin to get through concrete walls at night, so I feel they are safe in my garage at night. I went to TSC today, and they had a much larger (ok, it was labeled large, and mine is a medium) for $149. For chicks, and youngsters that aren't ready to comingle with the rest of the "big girls", I don't think the large is necessary, as I could probably put 10-12 more in my medium one, at least for the time being. But being Jersey Giants, they are going to get too big for this before too very long! Good luck and have a great week, 16paws!

Last edited:
definitely. In my particular case, they are on my screened in porch during daylight hours (when I am home), and in my garage at night. Now, if they were outside with my other hens, I definitely would have this totally covered in 1/4" hardwire. But, since the main culprits here in Tampa are possums (hate them!), and they come out at night, well, it'd be hard for one of them dirty vermin to get through concrete walls at night, so I feel they are safe in my garage at night. I went to TSC today, and they had a much larger (ok, it was labeled large, and mine is a medium) for $149. For chicks, and youngsters that aren't ready to comingle with the rest of the "big girls", I don't think the large is necessary, as I could probably put 10-12 more in my medium one, at least for the time being. But being Jersey Giants, they are going to get too big for this before too very long! Good luck and have a great week, 16paws!
Aw thats cute, I am thinking about your Jersey Giants. I have one that is about 4 years old, she is one of the very first chickens I brought home. Her name is Penny and she is a hoot! She goes broody all the time and she is a big clumsy gal. I dont let her hatch eggs anymore because she is so heavy she breaks them. Sometimes I think she is as big as a Turkey! But they are a great breed.
Good luck with your kids.
Marie

Aw thats cute, I am thinking about your Jersey Giants. I have one that is about 4 years old, she is one of the very first chickens I brought home. Her name is Penny and she is a hoot! She goes broody all the time and she is a big clumsy gal. I dont let her hatch eggs anymore because she is so heavy she breaks them. Sometimes I think she is as big as a Turkey! But they are a great breed.
Good luck with your kids.
Marie

Marie,
Penny sounds like a clutzy girl. I can relate to her!!! It's going to be an adventure to see my 'babies' grow up, and get with my 2 RIRs and my 1 remaining Ameracauna. Thelma (RIR) is at the top of the pecking order, and I got her with Louis (the Ameracauna). (named because they kept trying to get on my roof, Louis did succeed once, what an adventure), and I just remembered the movie. The big girls all get along well, as Peaches (RIP) was my other Ameracauna that died last week
sad.png
, and she was at the very bottom of the pecking order. But once the 'babies' get bigger, the dynamics will probably change, and that should be very interesting! Does Penny still lay eggs to eat? Just wondering because I am definitely learning tons every day and appreciate shared information!
Thank you!
Karen

Marie,
Penny sounds like a clutzy girl. I can relate to her!!! It's going to be an adventure to see my 'babies' grow up, and get with my 2 RIRs and my 1 remaining Ameracauna. Thelma (RIR) is at the top of the pecking order, and I got her with Louis (the Ameracauna). (named because they kept trying to get on my roof, Louis did succeed once, what an adventure), and I just remembered the movie. The big girls all get along well, as Peaches (RIP) was my other Ameracauna that died last week
sad.png
, and she was at the very bottom of the pecking order. But once the 'babies' get bigger, the dynamics will probably change, and that should be very interesting! Does Penny still lay eggs to eat? Just wondering because I am definitely learning tons every day and appreciate shared information!
Thank you!
Karen

Yes, she still lays eggs! And she really throws a temper tantrum when I put her in another coop to stop her broodiness. With my girls, if I dont want them to stay broody I put them into another coop and it breaks them. She was throwing herself against the wire fence in an attempt to get out. She is very dramatic! Lol

Yes, she still lays eggs! And she really throws a temper tantrum when I put her in another coop to stop her broodiness. With my girls, if I dont want them to stay broody I put them into another coop and it breaks them. She was throwing herself against the wire fence in an attempt to get out. She is very dramatic! Lol

Good grief, that's funny! She sounds like a drama queen. She'd probably get along with my Thelma! I can't believe she'd throw herself against the wire fence! Keep me posted about her drama degree she's working on, maybe she can get a scholarship to Hen University. :)

Last edited:
And she really throws a temper tantrum when I put her in another coop to stop her broodiness. With my girls, if I dont want them to stay broody I put them into another coop and it breaks them. She was throwing herself against the wire fence in an attempt to get out. She is very dramatic! Lol
That's why I use a wire crate right in the coop to break broodies, at least they have company.

Back
Top Bottom