Chick colours.

Rhode Island Reds are red with a black tail.

Many hybrids have one Rhode Island Red parent and one parent of another breed, and end up red with a white tail.

The white tail is caused by a gene called Dominant White, that turns black into white. It affects all black on the chicken.

What probably happened with your white chicks:

The father gave them genes to be completely black
The mother gave them the Dominant White gene, which turned all the black into white
So those chicks are completely white.

Do you have any other hens?
Is there any chance you mixed up eggs from some other hens? Maybe eggs from someone else?
Any chance of some other rooster coming to visit, and mating with your hens?

I agree that those chicks should not be possible from the parents in the photos.

The "barred chick" is the one with black and white lines all over it. Genetically, it is a black chicken with white lines, but the barring gene (white lines) should be making white lines on one parent as well (but it clearly is not.)

The "Columbian Barred" chicks would be the ones with white bodies, and black/gray on their tails and their heads & necks. The Columbian part could happen from those parents (white body with black/gray at both ends of the bird), but the barring (white lines across the darker areas) is from the barring gene (same probablem as the barred chick has: at least one parent should be showing white barring.)

@MysteryChicken @Chive
Could one of the red hens have white barring? I know it is harder to see barring on red than on black, but I really cannot see any at all in these photos.

It looks like at least two of the chicks with barring are males, so they could have a barred mother or a barred father. A pullet with barring would need to have a barred father, and would be a bigger puzzle, because I am even more sure the black-based rooster is not showing any white barring (he's got white mottling, but not barring.)
I see zero barring on the red hens.

The only other hens I have are the little white ones but they are not even laying eggs yet. The parents of the white ones I only incubated 4 of those as they were entirely a trial run as it was my first time incubating. The time between that incubation and this incubation was a good little while so I don't believe those eggs could have mixed up nor could the whites have paired with my current hens. I only incubate what I get from hens. I have never got eggs from anywhere else and none of my neighbours have chickens that could make it into our yard. It is a great mystery how I have such a variety when I don't believe anyone else has been involved!

The only other hens I have are the little white ones but they are not even laying eggs yet. The parents of the white ones I only incubated 4 of those as they were entirely a trial run as it was my first time incubating. The time between that incubation and this incubation was a good little while so I don't believe those eggs could have mixed up nor could the whites have paired with my current hens. I only incubate what I get from hens. I have never got eggs from anywhere else and none of my neighbours have chickens that could make it into our yard. It is a great mystery how I have such a variety when I don't believe anyone else has been involved!
In that case, it definitely is a mystery!

Back
Top Bottom