Chick didn't break the air cell

Tippyschicks

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2023
I have a clutch of eggs in my incubator and so far 1 has hatched it's day 20...3 more have externally peeped. One of them cracked the egg just below the air cell . Should I help it or let it be? Will he make it even though he didn't go through the air cell?

They can make it, but you need to leave it in the egg until it has fully absorbed the yolk sack. This will at least take the time of an internal pip and external pip.

They can make it, but you need to leave it in the egg until it has fully absorbed the yolk sack. This will at least take the time of an internal pip and external pip.
I'm just worried bc the rest are hatching through the air cell but this one is hating just below the air cell line and has a little blood on the area where he peeped

Attachments

• 16841178860321944957873804381566.jpg
    16841178860321944957873804381566.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 11
I'm just worried bc the rest are hatching through the air cell but this one is hating just below the air cell line and has a little blood on the area where he peeped
It happens sometimes. Basically it is like an internal and external pip all in one. So it may take up to 48 hrs for it to hatch. The little bit of blood should be ok. And if it has pipped through then it is getting air so that is good. Just let it be. It will need the time to absorb the yolk and also for the veins to be absorbed. Most times they will hatch with out any problems at all but it will take longer than one that has already internally pipped then externally pipped since this one did a twofer. :)

It happens sometimes. Basically it is like an internal and external pip all in one. So it may take up to 48 hrs for it to hatch. The little bit of blood should be ok. And if it has pipped through then it is getting air so that is good. Just let it be. It will need the time to absorb the yolk and also for the veins to be absorbed. Most times they will hatch with out any problems at all but it will take longer than one that has already internally pipped then externally pipped since this one did a twofer. :)
Thank you . This is my second clutch I've hatched but this didn't happen with the first clutch . Also this is a clutch I'm hatching for a friend of my husband's (his own eggs he brought to me to incubate for him) so I want to make sure they all make it

Thank you . This is my second clutch I've hatched but this didn't happen with the first clutch . Also this is a clutch I'm hatching for a friend of my husband's (his own eggs he brought to me to incubate for him) so I want to make sure they all make it
Good luck. And I understand that as I hatch for someone in my town and he brings me his eggs so I try to get as many as I can for him but sometimes we do everything right and they just don't make it for some reason.

I have had a few that have pipped the wrong end though and none have had an issue hatching.

Good luck. And I understand that as I hatch for someone in my town and he brings me his eggs so I try to get as many as I can for him but sometimes we do everything right and they just don't make it for some reason.

I have had a few that have pipped the wrong end though and none have had an issue hatching.
Thank you that makes me feel a little better. I will keep you posted.

I had to help one unzip bc he was stuck and the one that peeped below the air cell still had the membrane covering his beak and with further explanation I realized he never tucked his head under his wing to hatch properly. He has one leg completely out and he seems to be struggling bad. He first externally peeped at 5:47 pm last night may 14th it is now 9:30 am. I'm starting to think he needs help

Attachments

• 1684157628131275175042138693014.jpg
    1684157628131275175042138693014.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 10
Also one keeps rolling onto his back and getting stuck is that normal he hatched about 20 minutes ago..

pretty normal for a fresh hatch to get capsized .. its really not a problem in itself, but if it happens in a cold corner and its stuck thats not good, and if there are other chicks already up and about they can pick at the naval ..either way, they usually peep loudly when they get on their back .. keep an eye on them ..

Back
Top Bottom