Chick feeder - No waste

Here is my zero waste feed and water setup. Just like Kathleen's my chicks could fit in the holes when I first brought them home. Added some doubled over duct tape as a temp boarder and we were good to go! No gravity feeder element just full so the can eat and since its so big (holes around 75% of the coffee container) we will only have to top off twice a week till they grow more.

Wow! I like the coffee container idea- just drill holes with a hole saw. Sure it beats cutting tiny squares with a paring knife... Good upgrade!

Wow! I like the coffee container idea- just drill holes with a hole saw. Sure it beats cutting tiny squares with a paring knife... Good upgrade!

Haha, my first attempt was with a pearing knife and cut awkward square holes that may have hurt the baby chicks from the rough edges. It's been working out great so far.

Here is my zero waste feed and water setup. Just like Kathleen's my chicks could fit in the holes when I first brought them home. Added some doubled over duct tape as a temp boarder and we were good to go! No gravity feeder element just full so the can eat and since its so big (holes around 75% of the coffee container) we will only have to top off twice a week till they grow more.

Love this idea! How do you hang/attach your waterer? I'll be using cardboard as brooder for first 3 weeks, and not sure how to do that. Thanks!

Love this idea! How do you hang/attach your waterer? I'll be using cardboard as brooder for first 3 weeks, and not sure how to do that. Thanks!

I had little holes in the top of my dog crate/ brooder that I could use wire and wrap it around the water bottle to secure it. Once I move them to the larger wire dog crate brooder I will wrap the wire around the wire corners. Not sure how to do it with a cardboard brooder, maybe of strong enough cut holes to secure your wire. Or you can hang them from above off of a neighboring structure. Make sure it doesn't move around too much though.

I used water bottles that had an indent for where you grip it, helps keep the wire around it. You can see in the top right corner of this photo

I had little holes in the top of my dog crate/ brooder that I could use wire and wrap it around the water bottle to secure it. Once I move them to the larger wire dog crate brooder I will wrap the wire around the wire corners. Not sure how to do it with a cardboard brooder, maybe of strong enough cut holes to secure your wire. Or you can hang them from above off of a neighboring structure. Make sure it doesn't move around too much though.

I used water bottles that had an indent for where you grip it, helps keep the wire around it. You can see in the top right corner of this photo

Great, thanks! I'll have hardware cloth as "lid" so will look at rigging something up.

Back
Top Bottom