Chick has internal abdomen tumor, possibly bad yolk sac, help?

RussianChickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
So I have this chick, hes normal, absorbed yolk and all, but hes not as good on his feet or growing as well as his sibling.

I noticed today that his once soft abdomen now has a hard lump inside. You cant see it but you can feel it, hes had a little problem with pasty butt but so has the other, had some trouble with algae growing in the waterer with the high heat.

I don't know whats wrong with him, or her, but I am very worried, I just lost my black silkie hen to old age and this is the ONLY black chick I have!

I recently had a large hen die of cancer, she presented similarly. Hes kinda young for cancer, only a week old. Maybe the yolk is gone bad or something inside him??

I tried to google but could find nothing on this in young chicks. The mass is new and seems to be getting worse.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do. Either it will make it or not. Sometimes they aren't formed correctly and will pass in the first few weeks. Keep it at the correct temperature, give it a good chick starter and clean water, and check for pasty butt daily. Just see how it goes. Losses unfortunately happen when raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom