Chick has made a hole

cluckygirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
I'm new to this, first hatch!!
So excited but so confused!!
One egg has a hole in it so far, i can see its little beak moving around.
How long before it will hatch completely??
The mummy hen keeps pecking at the egg, is she trying to help her baby to be born??

Last edited:
That's called the external pip. The chick pips like that, then rests and waits until it is done absorbing all the yolk and blood. When that's done, it will zip around the outside of the egg and hatch.

sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I've had chicks take 18 hours to progress from the external pip to hatching. Nerve wrecking stuff LOL I didn't see it myself, though I wish I could, but I've heard of mommy hens helping chicks hatch, so it's possible... Good luck with the hatch!

We have a BABY. Oh my gosh I'm on cloud nine!!!!
I was able to watch the whole thing from pip, to birth.
What am absolutely amazing experience.
Only one baby has been born so far, so I imagine the rest will come along tomorrow.
I am so happy :) :)

Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing to watch, isn't it? I've watched many chicks hatch, but I still enjoy it. Enjoy your baby and fingers crossed it will have a few friends soon!

Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing to watch, isn't it? I've watched many chicks hatch, but I still enjoy it. Enjoy your baby and fingers crossed it will have a few friends soon!

Thank you do much :)
It was just fascinating!!!
I am a little concerned as to why the others are taken so much longer!
Do you have any suggestions???

Even if you set a clutch of eggs all at the same time I found they usually hatch over two days, sometimes more. Did you candle them at any stage to see how many are viable and developing? If they are I wouldn't worry yet. I'll never forget one broody hatch we had a few years ago, her chicks started hatching on day 22 only, some on day 23. Day 24 we had foul weather, so I left her inside with the chicks and the one remaining unhatched egg. Day 25 was a Friday, we moved mom and the chicks outside and found the last egg pipped! It hatched a few minutes later and we named the chick Friday
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with the hatch!

Back
Top Bottom