Chick has made a hole

Sadly we lost a baby this morning :-(
The 5 th baby baby pipped last night, by lunchtime it hadn't progressed in hatching!
We listened for noise inside several times, but it was as still and quiet ad can be :-(
The others haven't even started yet????

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
Momma hen will probably start thinking about getting up with the chicks today, leaving any unhatched eggs. I usually leave the eggs in the next for another day or so as I've had one or two late hatchers. What you can do when she gets up is check on the eggs, hold them against your ear and tap them with your fingernail. If there is a live chick in there, it will tell you all about it. Those eggs I would keep in a warm place until mom returns to the nest to sleep in the evenings and slip them back under her (unless you have an incubator to finish them off in).

Thank you so much Sumi for all your wonderful advice.
It's been a real amazing learning experience for us all.
We are very sad about the poor little darling, but also understand that these things happen :-(
Ok great I will make sure the test of the eggs are kept warm if she does leave them.
I'm terrible, I think I busy fave to move into the maternity ward with her, I practically live in the chicken coop at the moment lol!!!
We have had hens for a while, but never had a hatch, as we only recently got the rooster.
Can you help me with the breed......
Dads a frizzle and hens are australorps will the babies end up looking like Mum or Dad?
Thank you once again for your support xoxo

I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine on that one! I would be interested to see how they turn out... I'd actually love to see them, please, if you took any pics of them?

I have taken so many photos lol
I can't seem to find where to upload the pics on to this site tho!
Ate you on Facebook?

I have been trying to upload pics of mummy and her babies but it will not allow he to upload :-(
Drinking me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom