Chick identify and gender.

It is too early to be sure, but being straight run there should be about a 50/50 chance of male or female, so I wouldn't get your hopes up very far.

Looking at the photos, I feel that it doesn't look quite right for a Buff Orpington, but it does not look enough "wrong" for me to be sure of that either.

Buff Orpingtons should have a single comb (it does) and white feet (the feet are either white or a light blue. Yellow feet would be wrong, but the chick does not have yellow feet.) Buff Orpingtons should have buff feathers (it does), but I see white tips on the wing feathers (I would not expect that on a Buff Orpington.)

In the photo with three chicks, all three of them look like Red Sexlinks to me. (Different angles can make different things obvious.) Red Sexlinks are often sold as Gold Comet, Red Star, ISA Brown, and various other names, and they lay brown eggs. Starlight Green Eggers can also have that appearance, but they lay green eggs. I think there are a few other mixes that can also have that coloring (including some that are meant to grow quickly to be used for meat.)

So I am not really sure what to think about your mystery chick. In a few more weeks, hopefully it will be obvious whether it is male or female, and that may also help with figuring out what kind of chicken it is (some have different coloring for males vs. females, so if we know the gender we can sometimes rule out certain breeds or mixes.)

It is too early to be sure, but being straight run there should be about a 50/50 chance of male or female, so I wouldn't get your hopes up very far.

Looking at the photos, I feel that it doesn't look quite right for a Buff Orpington, but it does not look enough "wrong" for me to be sure of that either.

Buff Orpingtons should have a single comb (it does) and white feet (the feet are either white or a light blue. Yellow feet would be wrong, but the chick does not have yellow feet.) Buff Orpingtons should have buff feathers (it does), but I see white tips on the wing feathers (I would not expect that on a Buff Orpington.)

In the photo with three chicks, all three of them look like Red Sexlinks to me. (Different angles can make different things obvious.) Red Sexlinks are often sold as Gold Comet, Red Star, ISA Brown, and various other names, and they lay brown eggs. Starlight Green Eggers can also have that appearance, but they lay green eggs. I think there are a few other mixes that can also have that coloring (including some that are meant to grow quickly to be used for meat.)

So I am not really sure what to think about your mystery chick. In a few more weeks, hopefully it will be obvious whether it is male or female, and that may also help with figuring out what kind of chicken it is (some have different coloring for males vs. females, so if we know the gender we can sometimes rule out certain breeds or mixes.)
Wow thank you for the information. Man, I'd be so bummed if one of them isn't a buff orpington. I did get a calico princess, Easter egger (not pictured) and a cinnamon Queen (also not pictured). Now I'm questioning if the bins were labeled accurately.

Wow thank you for the information. Man, I'd be so bummed if one of them isn't a buff orpington. I did get a calico princess, Easter egger (not pictured) and a cinnamon Queen (also not pictured). Now I'm questioning if the bins were labeled accurately.
It's pretty common for chicks to be put in the wrong bins and the labels mixed up. If you post some pictures of your other chicks, we can double check their breeds for you.

Back
Top Bottom