Chick introduction!

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
At what point can I introduce pea chick with my adults ??? it is their baby but was hatched under a chicken .it is aprox 2 mo old.

I would only introduce new birds when possibly you move birds to a new pen or split up after breeding. Birds in breeding groups has a pecking order and if the males are still intact with long trains and breeding,a new small peachick is a nuisance to be dealt with by the older peahens.
I only move birds at night,or early evening. Much easier to catch and not so flighty. Once birds are seperated into new groups,or a new location-pen a new pecking order is established and if males are within the group,they also must decide who is head peacock. But it's an even playing field once birds are moved around. My home hatched peas stays within their own hatch year group until they reach 2 years old when it's their first chance to possibly lay an egg.It's that spring when birds are paired up for breeding that younger-2 year old hens are mixed with older hens-males for the first time.There is some scuffling-chasing but it normally ends after a day or so and noone really gets hurt. But if your hens has never hatched and reared their own peachicks,,such as mine,I wouldn't introduce the peachick to any adults until it was at least 1year old and can fly and have some size to it in comparison to it's penmates.

Back
Top Bottom