Chick is NOT doing good

Lady Chickadee

Rocky Top Silkies
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Central Kentucky
I have a chick that hatched out with something stuck to its bottom. I thought it was something that it would eventually absorb but its been two days and it hasn't. Whatever it is its all dried up now and when it was wet it was bloody. The chick was acting fine yesterday so I wasn't that worried but now its really weak so we got it to drink some save-a-chick.

I know its not the best picture but I circled the thing that was hanging off.

My newest chick had the same thing on his rear. It dried up and fell off after a week. Mine was a very small chick and didn't eat or drink well for quite a few days but at 2 weeks is doing great. Don't mess with the the thing on his rear but do keep it very warm. Best of luck!

I'm pretty sure that's an unabsorbed yolk sac.
I recently had hatched a chick with the same problem.
It means that it hatched too early before it could absorb the sac or the humidity was too high.
Eventually the sac should dry up, but in the mean time keep the chick separated from the others and give it special attention.
The other chicks will probably pick at it, and if something happens to the yolk sac before it is dried up, and it be very detrimental to the chick.
My chick was a runt and ended up dieing from some complications (it wasn't growing and was showing neurological issues).
I wish you luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. So, will the unabsorbed yolk sac eventually dry up and fall off? Hes still in the incubator, with only one other chick with him. Should I take him out of the incubator or leave him in there? Also, is there anything else I can do besides have him drink save-a-chick?

Thanks for the replies. So, will the unabsorbed yolk sac eventually dry up and fall off? Hes still in the incubator, with only one other chick with him. Should I take him out of the incubator or leave him in there? Also, is there anything else I can do besides have him drink save-a-chick?

It should eventually dry up and fall off. I found that with mine it took alittle longer to fall off (but like i said, my chick had some other issues going on).
Make sure nothing gets stuck to the sac, like egg shells, pine shavings etc.
Because then it will dry up to it and make it very hard to fall off.
And could possibly block its vent.
I would leave him in the incubator alittle longer until it needs food or water.
When you need to bring it to the brooder, try and separate it.
I put alittle bowl or tissue box in there and put the chick in it.
When its separated, just make sure you do have time to give it food and water whiles its there (you don't want it dehydrating).
Try and monitor its behavior.
The problem with runt chicks is that they could have other problems (internal) going on that we don't see.
Just do the best you can. Sometimes babies don't make it, and sometimes they do.
We can only do so much its really up to the health of the chick.
It could go either way. Ive read success with chicks hatching with yolk sacs, so as long as it doesn't have other issues, it should be ok.

I would carefully try to take it off without ripping or tearing the yolk sac.
Just definitely want that off of it before it drys.
Because my chick had alittle egg shell stuck to its yolk sac and it was almost impossible to get it off because i waited to long.

Okay, thanks so much. There is egg shell stuck to the sac, should I try to get the egg shell off?

Back
Top Bottom