Chick is very small, wobbles, falls down

Angela Thomson

Songster
6 Years
Aug 6, 2017
Southern Indiana
I picked up two Australorp roosters (special order) from Rural King last Friday 2/16/18.
One is not growing like the other. He is very small, the size of a large egg. His brother is growing fine.
He wobbles, falls down, and is very weak in general.
This started (or I noticed) last night, Monday, 2/19.
All other chicks are fine.
No signs of trauma, no injuries.
He is eating and drinking but very little.
Poop is runny. No color difference.
I started giving him electrolytes in a little dish. Regular water is still available. He is choosing the electrolytes over the regular water.
I would like to treat him myself as there are no chicken vets in my area.
I have six chicks in the brooder. Four of them are one week older. They have not been fighting. I have an infrared heat bulb. There are no drafts. The brooder is clean. The food is clean. The water is clean.
This is only one chick that is acting this way.
I have named him Charlie.
Please offer me advice to save him. I was surprised he was still alive this morning. I am at work and can't get home until around five.
Thank you all!

Runny poop is often an indication of coccidiosis and that is pretty easy to treat. If you don't have some on hand, then pick up some Corid from the feed store.... it will be in the cattle section. If you get liquid form it is 2teaspn per gallon, if powder, 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water mixed fresh every day and make sure it is the only water source. I believe you treat for 7 days. You may want to give the chick a small drop of the concentrated solution direct into it's beak in case it doesn't ingest enough of the medicated water. Follow up with a vitamin B supplement after the Corid treatment is completed.

I h
Runny poop is often an indication of coccidiosis and that is pretty easy to treat. If you don't have some on hand, then pick up some Corid from the feed store.... it will be in the cattle section. If you get liquid form it is 2teaspn per gallon, if powder, 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water mixed fresh every day and make sure it is the only water source. I believe you treat for 7 days. You may want to give the chick a small drop of the concentrated solution direct into it's beak in case it doesn't ingest enough of the medicated water. Follow up with a vitamin B supplement after the Corid treatment is completed.
I have some Corid. I will mix up and give as soon as I get home. Is it contagious? Thanks!

Yes, it can spread to the others via ingested poop... but some/most should be resistant to it. It is a protozoa which flourishes in warm, damp conditions, so if their water is getting spilt, it will bloom in the damp shavings in the brooder.

Keeping the drinker free of poop and the brooder warm and dry will help and keeping the drinker in the coolest part of the brooder and changing the water and scrubbing out regularly is important. Have you been feeding medicated chick crumb? The medication is a low level of the same active ingredient that is in Corid, which helps the chicks build up resistance to coccidia without becoming overrun by them, but some chick's immune systems are not as strong as others and the protozoa multiply and thrive in their gut, making them sick and then they need a stronger dose, hence using the Corid.

Yes, it can spread to the others via ingested poop... but some/most should be resistant to it. It is a protozoa which flourishes in warm, damp conditions, so if their water is getting spilt, it will bloom in the damp shavings in the brooder.

Keeping the drinker free of poop and the brooder warm and dry will help and keeping the drinker in the coolest part of the brooder and changing the water and scrubbing out regularly is important. Have you been feeding medicated chick crumb? The medication is a low level of the same active ingredient that is in Corid, which helps the chicks build up resistance to coccidia without becoming overrun by them, but some chick's immune systems are not as strong as others and the protozoa multiply and thrive in their gut, making them sick and then they need a stronger dose, hence using the Corid.
Yes, I clean everything and often. I have them in the house so I'm very attentive to the brooder. I haven't ever used medicated feed but maybe I'll pick some up. I don't think it'll hurt to give them a little medicated food. Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it!

Many people have reservations about medicated feed because they think it is medicated with antibiotics, but it isn't, the medication is just a very low dose of Amprollium, the same as the active ingredient in Corid.
Broody reared chicks usually develop natural resistance to coccidia and generally don't have problems with coccidiosis as their environment is less likely to overgrowth of it and the chicks usually have stronger immune systems. With artificially reared chicks in a brooder, which is maintained at a constant warm temperature which is ideal for coccidia to flourish, it is safer to use medicated chick crumb for the first few weeks.
That said, if you are going to use Corid in the water, then do not use medicated feed at the same time as you will be giving them a double dose of the medication.

Many people have reservations about medicated feed because they think it is medicated with antibiotics, but it isn't, the medication is just a very low dose of Amprollium, the same as the active ingredient in Corid.
Broody reared chicks usually develop natural resistance to coccidia and generally don't have problems with coccidiosis as their environment is less likely to overgrowth of it and the chicks usually have stronger immune systems. With artificially reared chicks in a brooder, which is maintained at a constant warm temperature which is ideal for coccidia to flourish, it is safer to use medicated chick crumb for the first few weeks.
That said, if you are going to use Corid in the water, then do not use medicated feed at the same time as you will be giving them a double dose of the medication.
Okay. I am going to give him the Corid when I get home. Can the other chicks drink it or do I need to separate them? Thank you for your time.

It would be a good idea for all of them to have the medicated water just in case any of them have an outbreak developing inside them that isn't symptomatic yet. Corid is pretty safe even for healthy chicks, which is why the medication is used in chick starter crumb.

I thank you all but the chick died. Poor thing. Alive when I got home but couldn’t even hold his head up. I got the syringe and gave him electrolytes and the Corid. He lived about a half hour. I’m so sad.

Oh, I'm so sorry! :hugs I would be inclined to either start the others on medicated feed straight away or start them on Corid in the water (one or the other) just in case. If there are any looking a bit sluggish I would go for the latter, if all look hale and hearty, then probably the former. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom