Groggy chick. Need help!

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
So, we hatched a bunch of eggs on October 30th and 31st, and one of them, who might be half golden laced wyandotte, has been acting groggy lately. He stands kind of huddled and fluffy up, he stays by himself sometimes, when I give water to him he won't drink. He also wobbles when he walks, and he opens his mouth super wide when I pick him up. I listened to his breathing after I put him down, and it was really loud. Can chickens have asthma? Does he have a respiratory issue? Why does he wobble and stay away from the rest of the chicks? He doesn't walk around much.
I now put him alone with the little chick Beth that lost a toe last night, and I keep them in my room so I can keep a close eye on both of them.
Does anyone know what might be wrong with the little chick? I think we might have named him Hawk when he first hatched(unless that was a different chick)

😞 Please help.

So, we hatched a bunch of eggs on October 30th and 31st, and one of them, who might be half golden laced wyandotte, has been acting groggy lately. He stands kind of huddled and fluffy up, he stays by himself sometimes, when I give water to him he won't drink. He also wobbles when he walks, and he opens his mouth super wide when I pick him up. I listened to his breathing after I put him down, and it was really loud. Can chickens have asthma? Does he have a respiratory issue? Why does he wobble and stay away from the rest of the chicks? He doesn't walk around much.
I now put him alone with the little chick Beth that lost a toe last night, and I keep them in my room so I can keep a close eye on both of them.
Does anyone know what might be wrong with the little chick? I think we might have named him Hawk when he first hatched(unless that was a different chick)

😞 Please help.
Can you please post photos of him and his poop? Of him alone, standing if possible, photos of his legs and feet too.

A video of how he acts and sounds may be helpful too - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds?

Opens his mouth when you pick him - how are you picking him up? Sounds like you may be pressing on the crop when handling him.

Have you treated him for Coccidiosis? Corid can be found at most feed stores.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Can you please post photos of him and his poop? Of him alone, standing if possible, photos of his legs and feet too.

A video of how he acts and sounds may be helpful too - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds?

Opens his mouth when you pick him - how are you picking him up? Sounds like you may be pressing on the crop when handling him.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
I have not treated him for Coccidiosis, and I do not crush his crop when I pick him up. We feed them medicated chick crumbles and occasionally some grit in their food. We don't usually give them treats, but if we do, just some seeds and corn and some little molasses covered/marinated seeds too, but I haven't fed them that in at least a week or so. I just checked their little box[I put him in alone with the chick who lost a toe] and I found some poop that has some red/blood looking stuff in it, but it doesn't exactly look like diarrhea. He barely chirps, and when he does, it's quiet and raspy, and when he breathes I hear a little clicking sound in him.
Does this info help?

I have not treated him for Coccidiosis, and I do not crush his crop when I pick him up. We feed them medicated chick crumbles and occasionally some grit in their food. We don't usually give them treats, but if we do, just some seeds and corn and some little molasses covered/marinated seeds too, but I haven't fed them that in at least a week or so. I just checked their little box[I put him in alone with the chick who lost a toe] and I found some poop that has some red/blood looking stuff in it, but it doesn't exactly look like diarrhea. He barely chirps, and when he does, it's quiet and raspy, and when he breathes I hear a little clicking sound in him.
Does this info help?
Photos would be helpful:)

If he's got some bloody looking poop, then I'd treat for Coccidiosis.

Photos would be helpful:)

If he's got some bloody looking poop, then I'd treat for Coccidiosis.
IMG_0392.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg

Here he is (his name is Hawk)
We put apple cider vinegar and some garlic in his water, and we’re quarantining him right now. I saw him eat earlier, and I don’t see any more blood in his poop. Thankfully I cleaned out their brooder a few days ago, so he didn’t poop much around the other chicks.

View attachment 3692789View attachment 3692790
Here he is (his name is Hawk)
We put apple cider vinegar and some garlic in his water, and we’re quarantining him right now. I saw him eat earlier, and I don’t see any more blood in his poop. Thankfully I cleaned out their brooder a few days ago, so he didn’t poop much around the other chicks.
Hopefully he'll perk up.

Vinegar and garlic will not treat Coccidiosis, so it's a good idea to have some Corid on hand.

Back
Top Bottom