Chick just hatched DEFORMED! HELP

emrldgrn1

Songster
12 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Vass, NC
Does anyone know what this is. Its soft and squishy, the skull looks like it is open and this is protruding. Is this brain matter? This is a millie. This little fellow doesnt seem to be in pain and its moving around on its own Why would it make it to hatch and hatch on its own? Its going to die, isnt it?
hit.gif

40980_sick_chick_2.jpg

Last edited:
Its kind of hard to tell what we're looking at, you know, which end is up? That said, I can't imaging something like that being positive. Wait it out. If it was strong enough to get out of it's shell, whatever that is might be absorbed or move to where it belongs. Does it give/move at all?

Also what breed is it suppose to be? Some have those top knots on their head.

Last edited:
Awww, poor lil' thing! It sure is heartbreaking to have a chick that makes it all the way out of its shell only to have a deformity like that. It's just something that happens, a bad roll of the genetic dice. I don't know if that could be absorbed, has anyone ever had a chick like this that managed to survive?

You may have to help this chick cross over to The Other Side of the Road so its misery can come to an end. If this chick hatched out under a hen some predator would take it, or the hen & her other chicks would probably peck it to death. Or she would just leave it to die in the nest. There are other threads about how to humanely cull a chick, please let us know if you need advice & support if you have to do this.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry.

I'm SO sorry!!! I'd cull immediately. There is no skull to hold it in if it goes down. An easy way to cull a fresh hatch is just to set it aside and let it's little body cool and it will pass peacefully in it's sleep. Poor baby!

Im am so sorry . . . that is very hard
sad.png
We had a mom attack all of her chicks and pretty much kill 1, severely injure 2 and 1 was in okay shape. We had to put down the 1, very sad, but it was the best thing to do. I would suggest mixing baking soda and vinegar together to create CO2 and that will make the little guy fall peacefully asleep. Mom had kicked the chicks from under her all day and they stayed cool until i got home at 4:00 and then remained alive until my husband got home at 8:00pm! Sometimes just taking them from the warm area does not work as well as we hope!

I have had to cull. It is hard but sometimes the kindest thing to do. I've found the fastest, easiest way to do this is to place the chick in a very small air-tight plastic bag. Those zipper sandwich bags work well. Then use the computer duster spray you have for your keyboard or the carburetor spray for your car and the tiny straw that comes with the can. Open the zipper only enough to allow in the end of the straw. Then give 3-4 puffs in the otherwise-sealed bag and quickly reseal. Death comes in 4-5 breaths for the chick. It seems like the kindest, least painful method I have found so far.

I am sorry for your loss.

Rusty

Ive never killed anything but flys and mosqitoes. I feel like its gods choice to end a life and not mine. I dont want to debate religion, just saying i could never cull unless the injury is so traumatic its devistating and non recoverable. (then i have my son or hubby do it cause i cant). This baby lived through the night and is up walking about with the rest. Its heartbreaking to be pulled in both directions. It doesnt seem to be affected all that much at this point. If it begins to show signs of decline of any kind instead of progress, I will have someone cull the lil button.

40980_securedownload.jpg

Last edited:
Friend of ours hatched one similar to this and his wife didn't have the heart to put it down.
The problem he ran into is that it coudl NEVER be put in with other chicks-- they attacked the deformity.
So, be aware, this chick is doomed to live life separated from other chickens.
CHickens are not as forgiving as humans-- which is why they are chickens. They WILL attack and destroy weaker member of the flock. It is survival of the fittest. So long as you are aware of the consequences of prolonging its life, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom