Chick just hatched DEFORMED! HELP

I wonder if this chick would eventually grow skin over the top of that knot? Here's some info found:

Deformities
In any animal population during embryonic development, there is a predictable incidence of embryos that die or are not able to hatch due to deformities. Based on this comprehensive investigation, data demonstrated that the percent of deformed embryos ranged from 0.22 to 0.30% of the total hatch. These findings suggest that hatchability declines on the average of 0.25% due to malformed chicks. A combination of deformities and malpositions can be manifested simultaneously. Table 2 shows the incidence of common deformities observed from embryos at 15 to 21 days of incubation. The most common deformities are those of exposed brain (29%), without eye(s) (25%) and with beak abnormalities (+/-35%). http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm095

The chick is still alive and seems to be strong. It has done much better than I expected! It is going to need special care, but that is ok! I have raise and still have a hen that has deformed feet, and she is happy and healthy. She even hatched out a chick last year!
big_smile.png
I am sure emrldgrn1 understands what she will need to do for this special little guy.
wink.png
Good luck girl, I am sure this little chick will have a ton of love until it is time for him to go! Get the little helmet ready!
lol.png

It reminds me of a vaulted skull, but I wonder if it will grow skin and feather over this area. Meanwhile, I would continue to keep it away from the other chicks because of the bright color that would be an attraction to other chicks' pecking.

I must add that if it does survive I would not let her/him breed.

Last edited:
I hope by the time I write this that it is too late and the point mute... put that chick down. It will not grow skin over it, and it is a condition where the brain developed on the outside of the skull.

{cut and pasted from http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm095}

Deformities
In
any animal population during embryonic development, there is a predictable incidence of embryos that die or are not able to hatch due to deformities. Based on this comprehensive investigation, data demonstrated that the percent of deformed embryos ranged from 0.22 to 0.30% of the total hatch. These findings suggest that hatchability declines on the average of 0.25% due to malformed chicks. A combination of deformities and malpositions can be manifested simultaneously. Table 2 shows the incidence of common deformities observed from embryos at 15 to 21 days of incubation. The most common deformities are those of exposed brain (29%), without eye(s) (25%) and with beak abnormalities (+/-35%).

I am sure we all know this chick will not lead a normal life and will probably pass! BUT if it had the will to hatch and still has the will to live, why kill him?? He will not breed, and he will need help, but he is the cutest little thing and watching him walk around and try to act like the other chicks is awesome!! He is not 100%, his feet are kinda messed up, and he is not "all there", but he sure is doing a wonderful job at staying alive!!! He will live until it is his time to go!
big_smile.png

Quote:
This is not simply a vaulted skull, the brain formed outside the skull. Vaults are in most cases not desired or bred for, but rather simply a part of many birds in a breeding flock. Silkies are not the only breed with a vaulted skull. Any crested breed can and often does have a vault, including polish, houdans, brabanters, sultans, spitz, crevecoeurs, pyncheons, and I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that came to mind. This chick will likely die of an infection, and this will be quite painful for it. Do it a favor and let it go peacefully before this happens.

It seems to be a form of encephalomeningocele. That's a neural tube defect characterized by sac like potrusions of the brain. Only God can say if it will survive. Poor thing. I sympathize with you. Best of Luck,
Tiffany

I wonder if this chick would eventually grow skin over the top of that knot? Here's some info found:

Deformities
In any animal population during embryonic development, there is a predictable incidence of embryos that die or are not able to hatch due to deformities. Based on this comprehensive investigation, data demonstrated that the percent of deformed embryos ranged from 0.22 to 0.30% of the total hatch. These findings suggest that hatchability declines on the average of 0.25% due to malformed chicks. A combination of deformities and malpositions can be manifested simultaneously. Table 2 shows the incidence of common deformities observed from embryos at 15 to 21 days of incubation. The most common deformities are those of exposed brain (29%), without eye(s) (25%) and with beak abnormalities (+/-35%). http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm095

Back
Top Bottom