Chick pecking...

SheGoneCountry

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Chicagoland
They're not really pecking each other, but all 12 of them seem to be interested in pecking the same wall (and a particular spot on the floor too) of their plywood brooder box. I'm a bit afraid they might chip their beaks. It's a rather large box for week old chicks, so I can't imagine space is an issue. I have a red lamp on them at 90 deg, and all of their other eating/drinking/pooping behavior seems quite normal. I'm brand spanking new to this, so if anyone has any experience or advice, I'd rely appreciate it. Thanks!

the pecking is just being curious, of it hurt their beak they would stop. I think they like the noise, or the spots on the wall. I have one baby chick who is about 5 days old and she is in with chicks 1 1/2 weeks old and she looks like she is trying to pick fights with all the other chicks she pecks their beaks until they get annoyed and start to fight. She is actually looking to the older chick as a mom and she wants them to feed her. I had to separate the older chicks a bit so they could all for get, I just put a silky momma in with them for the first time. they all crawled under her and went to bed. If there is a momma there will be no fighting.

This is the third batch of chicks in the same brooder and every batch seemed to focus in a different spot on the wall and peck it.What I have noticed is that when one does something the rest seem to follow right along. Same with getting on top of the feeder "dust bathing" in the bedding.

Interesting thing about this...last years chick all ran into the far corner of the box when I put my hand in but this time there are two very bold Buff Orps in this batch and now at 3 weeks old six of the eight chicks run towards my hand when I open the door!

that is funny! I got my daughter a buff orpington once and I told myself I want a sassy one, for my daughter. I stuck my hand in the brooder, and a chick ran up and pecked me. I knew that was her chick. the chick used to lay on its belly to sleep with its legs straight back. soo cute. buffs have big round eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom