Chick pipped over 24 hrs ago, no zip

you-da-chick

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2014
On day 21 my first chick pipped around 8 a.m, and you can see the beak. Today at 8 a.m, very little progress is made, and one sibling who pipped later had already hatched. Should I be concerned?

Thanks. The chick is a silkie chick. I looked at the assisted hatching guide, and the chick appears to have pipped away from the air cell. It says not to worry until 30-48 hours after the external pip. Half of the beak is exposed, and the membrane isn't shrikwrapped. The chick is clearly breathing and is chirping.

Thanks. The chick is a silkie chick. I looked at the assisted hatching guide, and the chick appears to have pipped away from the air cell. It says not to worry until 30-48 hours after the external pip. Half of the beak is exposed, and the membrane isn't shrikwrapped. The chick is clearly breathing and is chirping.
Sounds good has it tried to zip out?

Looks like there is progress! No zip yet, but the chick was able to shift its weight, and facing upwards more, and it has made a bigger hole and is also more energetic, so I guess it's a good sign. The chick's sibling is good motivation as well, it's chipring away. I'll leave the egg be for today.

Back
Top Bottom