Chick sexing thru behavior?

TPaul87

Hatching
Apr 22, 2021
I've googled all the different ways to sex chicks and none of them have ever referenced the behavioral squat that hens do.
I was petting the backs of my 9 day old chicks and notice some of them already do that squat thing when I rub them. Wings out, funny chirp and throwing that butt right back! 🤣
Is this a good way to determine pullets and cockerels?

I've googled all the different ways to sex chicks and none of them have ever referenced the behavioral squat that hens do.
I was petting the backs of my 9 day old chicks and notice some of them already do that squat thing when I rub them. Wings out, funny chirp and throwing that butt right back! 🤣

Yes Behaviour tells alot since the beginning pullet are more shy and sweet then the roos they are dominate since day 1 jumping flying and running beating their fellow mates lol

I had a chick that squatted like that pretty regularly. HE was purchased as a cockerel, but I was starting to wonder if the sexers had made a mistake. Nope, he eventually started to crow, and grew male-specific feathers.

Based on that experience, I decided squatting was not useful as a guide to sex in chicks. I don't know if it would work in adult chickens, but by then the gender is usually obvious anyway.

I agree it wouldn't be an accurate method.
No. Behavior is never something to solely base sexing on. Otherwise I'd have about 80 males now as opposed to 30.
I'd have 109% males since I've never had very young chicks squat for me.
Suppose it's probably due to me not rubbing my chicks though huh? Or at least not rubbing them in that way.

Nope. Not an accurate method.

Some females raise their little hackles and fight another chick, but they will still end up laying an egg. Wait a few more weeks for better indicators.

Is this a good way to determine pullets and cockerels
That squatting when you come up on a hen fast, push down on their back, brush their back end and then they they do that shake move like a dog shaking when they get wet, is the breeding squat & shake. They do that when a male breeds them. It is pretty accurate for sexing, but some males will squat like that too when you push down on their backs. Not many, but some do, and when you brush their back end some will shake like a female does.. But they usually do not squat with their wings spread when approaching them only.. That is a female that does that. I have never seen a male squat on approach. I suppose once in a while you will have a rooster that is a bit gender confused. Personally I would cull a rooster that did that, because I do not want those genetics in my flock. Odds are the one that does that of yours is a female.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom