Chick sick this morning, please help. = (

SelfAsylum

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
This morning I woke up to one of my 6 chicks (1 of the 2 bantams) sick. She must have ended up outside the box, as some usually do when jumping up to perch, but they usually just jump back up. I found her under the shadowed part of the flap on the outside of the box. I'm wondering if this may have happened sometime during the night and she just got really cold or if it may be parasites/worms of some sort?

I noticed she was sick when I picked her up. She likes to be held least out of the chicks (although they are all quite human friendly). She didn't try to move a lot and when I set her back in the box she just laid there and fell back asleep. I could keep picking her up with her still sleeping or falling right back to sleep in my hand.

If there was a lot of commotion with the other chicks she would wake up and look around for a moment or move very slightly aside but not for long. I took the wormer I had and filled its cap with water and put about 2 very tiny drops in it and mixed it. I opened her mouth and kept putting some drops on her tongue for a little bit and letting her drink it, also to get some water in her for the day. She would keep her eyes shut during all this but would peep. This is the most I could do before leaving for work in the morning. = (

From what I have read it is a typical sign of sickness. Poofed out and hanging/wobbling head. She would just lay and hang her head forward and sleep. They have been really healthy and active until this morning with her. I held her under the heat lamp for a bit then set her under it on some fresh bedding. If she is still alive when I get home I will be going to TSC for electrolytes and meds. What are my chances that she will be ok by then or still alive? = ( Or my chances for her over all survival? My other bantam needs her or he'll be all alone with the pullets heh. I'm pregnant and have had an emotional morning over the debacle. They are like my little babies and even though it's only been 2-3 weeks with them it feels like forever. I don't want to lose her.

One more piece of info, I turned the heat lamp off for a couple hours last night. They spend a lot of time on the edges of their box so they actually stayed inside it for the whole time with it off. From what I've been asking they are in good time to start weening, and they are still inside at the moment. They are about 4-5 weeks old and have a lot of feathering, especially the bantams.

I'm very sorry for the length, I just wanted to give as much info as possible. Any time given to read and help is Greatly appreciated! = (((

My little one that is sick, pic from about a week or so ago.

First of all, I'm very sorry that you've had such a rough morning over this
hugs.gif

I kind of wonder if she got too cold, too, even if it was just enough to give some germs a chance at her system. I would definitely recommend getting her some vitamins to help her out. I don't mean to sound callous when I say this, but if she is alive when you get home from work, she'll probably be okay while you run to TSC. If you're concerned enough about it, I might even suggest going straight to TSC after work, if you can.

Again, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It's upsetting when our babies are sick. I know exactly how you feel on that. It's not dumb at all to love and care about another living creature, especially one that's so young and under your care. It sounds like you are a very caring mama, so just try to keep your chin up and keep up the good work!

Thanx for the condolence. = ( I hope she'll be ok when I get home, or perked up at least a little. I'll keep an update.

I want to get wormer in the others as soon as possible. The back says for chicks 4-6 weeks 1 fluid oz per gallon of water per 100 chicks. I'm not sure how to measure this out with only 6 chicks. Should I do the same and continue to fill their water bottle with only the water from the jug and for how long?

Last edited:
Hmm, so maybe you could mix up a gallon (or halve it and do .5 ounce for a half gallon) and then just mix a little of that in with plain water and see how she does. You said she's about three weeks, right? I would rather just give her a little than overdo it. I know that with electrolytes, if young chicks have too much it can make them sick. If you have something like a pint-size water bottle, I'd try putting just a teaspoon of the mixture in, and then see how that goes.

Roughly, you're only going to need something like 1/20 of that mixture for your chicks. You can always put the remaining mixture in the fridge for a little while, clearly marked, so that you can use it later, if needed.

Ok, thank you very much for the info. =) They are about 4-5 wks. I came home and she seemed just fine, but I went right to TSC to get the meds and electro's anyways to be safe. I bought sav-A-chic electrolyte mix, 3 packets for $2. It says to mix one in with a gallon. Should I keep the same measurement concept as the wormer which you suggested?

Yes, that's what I've done when giving mine an elecrolyte/vitamin solution, and it seemed to work fine. With that, I poured some of the solution into their water dish, then diluted it with water a couple of times after that. The two chicks that seemed to not be feeling well improved within a couple of days. Good luck!

She is still doing good today. : ) Really perky and back to acting like a chicken with the rest. I'm guessing she must have been a little cold and really tired? I still haven't given any electrolytes yet. Was determing which to give first dewormer or the elctrolytes? I also have vetrx that says its preventitive. All can be administered by water. I'm guessing I should just go w/ the electrolytes first to make sure they are all up to par health and energy wise?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom