Chick Starter Feed

angelnina

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Seattle area
I just bought chicks 3 weeks ago. According to the date I was given, the chicks were born on April 15th. After looking at photos on this forum, I am suspecting they are older (they are covered in feathers--had to enlarge brooder, and one has red crest and cheeks. I bought a 10 lb bag of chick starter for 4 chicks, and the young men who work at the feed store told me it will last 6 weeks. Well, we're halfway through our second bag of chick feed, and we've only had them for three weeks. Were they mistaken, or am I overfeeding my chicks?

If they are older..I'm suspecting my chicks may be 6-8 weeks rather 4 weeks, do I need to change their food?

They were mistaken...

Unless they like to grow REALLY skinny chickens...

big_smile.png

You should offer feed free choice to your chicks. The guy at the feed store was mistaken ... most chicks are little piggies.

Definitely sounds like your's are much older than you thought. If you can post some pictures people here will take a guess for you on how old they are ... plus, we really like to look at pictures!

wyandotteface.jpg

The first photo is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. I'm hoping it's a hen, this is the only one showing red
sad.png

rhode.jpg

Above: Rhode Island (4 weeks old?)

chickfeed.jpg

three more

If they look more than 4 weeks old, please let me know.

Quote:
It means to have feed and water available to them around the clock. Let them eat as much as they want. They will not over eat. Just have plenty available all the time.

Hope this helps!

Yes, thank you. We have keep the feeder and water filled. They go to town on the feed
smile.png

I posted the photos to see if others believe they may be more than 4 weeks old. Maybe they eat more because their older?

Back
Top Bottom