Chick suddenly not walking

Her right leg is way out and foot is twisted inward. I would try bring her legs together about 1 1/2 inches apart or less, and use a bandaid cut lengthwise or vet wrap strip to tape them together in case they are splayed.

The other problem is the hip could be dislocated from the injury on the right side, so try and see if that might be the problem before you hobble her. I will try to find a post where someone suggested a treatment for a dislocated hip.

1584631963491.png

I can’t really tell what’s going on. What breed is it? It almost appears to have grown faster than the legs can handle. I’d definitely go with the B complex vitamins (until you can determine if it’s a dislocation or what.
There is also a liquid B complex (@Jpat, will you share your info please?)

Separation, maybe with one chick that is amicable, would probably be a good idea too, if possible.

She is an Araucanian type. If her hip was dislocated would her legs move in her joint sockets smoothly? She does look like she is too big for her legs doesn't she? She has a sister we will compare her to and maybe take a picture and post it.

I am not a vet, and haven’t treated leg problems before. Unfortunately with these problems, narrowing down the problem is the hardest part. The earlier they are discovered the bettere, but even then many problems are not easily or successfully treated. I wish I was more helpful.

Okay, if you feel that this may be a dislocated hip, read post 15 by @WVduckchick for a method on fixing it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...don-or-need-help.1262881/page-2#post-20274699
I would do this before treating for splay leg, since that may not be the problem. As always, a vet would be the best if available.
That was a great tip. Thank you. We did all the hip dislocation stuff and she reacted normal but nothing really happened. I suppose she needs rest?

I can’t really tell what’s going on. What breed is it? It almost appears to have grown faster than the legs can handle. I’d definitely go with the B complex vitamins (until you can determine if it’s a dislocation or what.
There is also a liquid B complex (@Jpat, will you share your info please?)

Separation, maybe with one chick that is amicable, would probably be a good idea too, if possible.
This is the feed store option, its the most reccomended
2003779.jpeg.jpg

As as a second choice is regular pharmacy B complex, its alot less potent than the animal version
20190506_091914.jpg

Back
Top Bottom