Chick Treat Feeding Question

Jan 1, 2019
Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, I'm new. My fluffy chicks are do to be delivered at the end of the month, and I have been looking at fun ways to entertain them while in the brooder. How old must they be to have some kitchen scraps/greens? I know I will need to provide them with grit with it, but I was wondering if it was something that could be done within the first week or would I be better off waiting?

Thanks for any answers.

Hello, I'm new. My fluffy chicks are do to be delivered at the end of the month, and I have been looking at fun ways to entertain them while in the brooder. How old must they be to have some kitchen scraps/greens? I know I will need to provide them with grit with it, but I was wondering if it was something that could be done within the first week or would I be better off waiting?

Thanks for any answers.
Hello.
I would personally wait at least a week until you start offering anything other than their starter. That way they will get a good strong start.
I left the lights on in my garage where I had the brooder set up for the first three days so that the chicks could eat whenever they wanted. I used a brooder plate so there was not light from a heat lamp.
I gave mine sod plugs from my yard starting in the second week and they had a blast with them. I also offered broken up meal worms and like any self respecting chicken, they went bonkers for them.
I offered chick grit in the second week.
Enjoy the little buggers when you get them! They grow like weeds.

Hello.
I would personally wait at least a week until you start offering anything other than their starter. That way they will get a good strong start.
I left the lights on in my garage where I had the brooder set up for the first three days so that the chicks could eat whenever they wanted. I used a brooder plate so there was not light from a heat lamp.
I gave mine sod plugs from my yard starting in the second week and they had a blast with them. I also offered broken up meal worms and like any self respecting chicken, they went bonkers for them.
I offered chick grit in the second week.
Enjoy the little buggers when you get them! They grow like weeds.

Thank you so much! That's all great information!

I mean, like, you CAN. But chick starter is the most nutritionally complete and they will be happy enough for it just because literally every food is a new food for them and so chick starter is very exciting. You could even wet it down into a mash. If you ARE going for treats, pick ones that are nutritionally dense like insects or sprouted grains over corn or bread and keep them to less than 10% the total of their diet.

I mean, like, you CAN. But chick starter is the most nutritionally complete and they will be happy enough for it just because literally every food is a new food for them and so chick starter is very exciting. You could even wet it down into a mash. If you ARE going for treats, pick ones that are nutritionally dense like insects or sprouted grains over corn or bread and keep them to less than 10% the total of their diet.

^_^ Thanks, I'll wait then until they are a little older and needing a fun distraction of new things.

Many people offer chicks some sod from outside to help them develop immunity to coccidiosis. I see you live in WI, maybe you can chop out a hunk of sod and thaw it for them. But I agree that treats are unnecessary, and treats can lead to picky eaters.

Many people offer chicks some sod from outside to help them develop immunity to coccidiosis. I see you live in WI, maybe you can chop out a hunk of sod and thaw it for them. But I agree that treats are unnecessary, and treats can lead to picky eaters.

Thanks for the advice on the sod.
As for treats, I probably should have explained that I mean vegetable trimmings from salad greens and such.

My chicks are 4 weeks old, and last week I pulled some dandilions for them. They had a blast pecking and running around with them. I peeled some carrots this morning and wondered if I can offer the peelings to the chicks. They are good eaters, love their grit, and I hope I am not spoiling them!

Back
Top Bottom