Chick water question

FarmBoy25

Chirping
Feb 17, 2019
Hello, my chicks are in their fourth week, and from the get-go, we added apple cider vinegar to their water, (as a coccidiosis preventive) and lately, they have begun spilling the water more often. The brooder is starting to smell like the vinegar, and I am wondering when to stop adding it, as well as when to stop boiling water. Thanks!

Hello, my chicks are in their fourth week, and from the get-go, we added apple cider vinegar to their water, (as a coccidiosis preventive) and lately, they have begun spilling the water more often. The brooder is starting to smell like the vinegar, and I am wondering when to stop adding it, as well as when to stop boiling water. Thanks!
Hello,

Unfortunately, ACV will do nothing to prevent coccidiosis. I would stop using it now.
I'm uncertain as to why you were boiling the water.

You could make a drinker for them that they can't spill using an old sports bottle and a vertical chicken nipple. This is the one I made:
baby bottle.jpg

As you can see, I hung it with an old wire hanger and I added blocks for the chicks to climb on so they could access it. I removed blocks as they grew. Alternatively, you could suspend it from a chain and raise it as they grow.

Hello,

Unfortunately, ACV will do nothing to prevent coccidiosis. I would stop using it now.
I'm uncertain as to why you were boiling the water.

You could make a drinker for them that they can't spill using an old sports bottle and a vertical chicken nipple. This is the one I made:
View attachment 1716790

As you can see, I hung it with an old wire hanger and I added blocks for the chicks to climb on so they could access it. I removed blocks as they grew. Alternatively, you could suspend it from a chain and raise it as they grow.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom