Chick with Bloody Navel

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
My first thought when I saw the last of our Easter hatch in the incubator was that she wasn't going to make it. There was blood everywhere.
But she kept cheeping and moving around the incubator, so I said "well if you're going to try, I'll try too". I cut a few bandaids down and mom held her upside down while I applied them. I tried to put pressure on the bleeding navel as I did it, but with chick down the bandaid did not go on half as tight as I wanted. But then of course we couldn't move it with it stuck to her down.
I didn't think to get a picture before applying the bandaid.
Her navel is simply bleeding, no organs protruding, as if she pulled away from the egg too soon.
She's back in the incubator by herself on some paper towel and still moving around, cheeping. The bandaid isn't holding very well and I can see some blood on the pad from the side :/
I wish we had something better to put on there!
@Wyorp Rock

Try flour.

Though, when I simply get a chick like this, I just add pressure to the area till the bleeding stops, & dab on some plain, none pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic ointment to it.

I don't know if I'd try flour, I'd want to see the navel first.

Triple antibiotic ointment on the navel. Place the chick in a paper towel lined tea cup or mug that will fit in the incubator and leave her there for a while. This will limit her travels and help keep the open area cleaner.
She'll scream her head off, then sleep for a while, then kick move and scream, then sleep.

Thank you! The little one seemed to be doing better and getting perkier, so I didn't try the cup.
We (mostly her) got the bandaid off, finally.
While I was doing my best to take pictures (sorry, the sun was not cooperating, and she wanted to face me), she pooped this really egg yolk poo.
It definitely came out higher than the navel, right under her tail, I had the camera zooomed in when she did it. Is pooping yolk okay?
Also, she seems like a really big chick. She's so active now I feel really hopeful she will make it.

The dark lump touching the paper towel is the spot in question... I'm sorry I couldn't do better after a hundred pics and a few videos that show it better that I don't think I can upload....

P1070450.JPG

Yolky poo...

P1070397.JPG

P1070489.JPG

The poop is o.k.

Let's see the navel, do you have any photos?

Can she walk normally?

Good to hear about the poop.
The best photo I could get of her navel was that first picture with the dark spot against the paper towel in the middle of her backside. I took more than a hundred pictures but she insisted on facing me however I moved. She was too wriggly for just one hand when I tried to hold her for a picture. I did get a good video showing it but I can never upload things to youtube. I could email it though!
She was so energetic in the incubator I just decided to put her in the brooder 20mins ago. She was so happy and flapping her little wings! Taking little running steps. Besides the typical first day awkwardness she is moving normally.
No one showed interested in picking on her, there are 2 freshly hatched from yesterday and 8 from last week who have been good with the day olds. But I will be checking on her frequently!

Is the navel closed and not bleeding anymore?

If she's in the brooder now, moving about running, then it sounds like she's doing o.k.!

Yes, sorry I forgot to say that earlier that it stopped bleeding while the bandaid was on.
Thanks so much for your help!
This baby is one of many out of a hen you helped me with a few months ago, she had stridor and you were so reassuring... a couple days later she laid her first egg and I've been hatching out her babies since! (including avatar)

Back
Top Bottom