CHICK with CLUB FOOT?

RELAX, you will do fine! You have done your homework!

You can get by just fine with starter or starter/grower, water, a cardboard box, a little heat, and a pack of cheap paper towels. Or similar supplies, that you already know you need. Other things, like some vitamins without iron or some organic ACV, might be helpful, but should not be necessary. Whatever you are comfortable with.

Yes, things can go wrong, but remember you are reading about all the awful stuff here, because people are looking for help. Just think of the hordes of chicks these people are raising that do fine!

Pics expected!

The chicks will be fine. You'll be fine with them. Before long, you'll probably be researching chicken diapers because you've grown so attached to them you want them in the house!
lol.png

Really, it's much easier than it sounds. Pop them in the box, make sure they're warm, give them food and water, change their paper towels daily, and you're good to go. Until they start flying, in which case you'll want something to cover them. We used an old piece of window screen safety pinned to the top of the box. They do start hopflying in the first week or so, at least ours did.

Good luck and enjoy your new cute little fluffy things!

Sounds to me like you scared the peewaddin outta yourself. Yes all that CAN happen, just like with humans there is a myriad of illnesses people can and do get. Mostly, chicks are fine.

Sad, Sad, Sad..............

I was supposed to pick up my two little chicks this morning, and the woman just called to say the chick with the foot problem died this morning. Oh well, I guess nature did the right thing..........

Now, I have my little brooder set up and ready, with nothing to put in it. The woman I was supposed to get the chicks from said she could hatch some more for me, but they won't be ready for about 3 weeks. Not so sure I can wait that long. I think I'm suffering from empty nest syndrome.........

I actually bought a bantam splash cochin hen yesturday, i didn't notice till i got home that one of her fet is really misformed and the other has 2 tows, she can get around fairly well for two bad feet. I'll post pics of her sometime in the future for reference.

hello there is a chick what has been hatched and is paralyzed we have been trying to help it walk and build up her energy but she is not walking and her mother is not caring for her how do we help the poor chick?
paige.
sad.png

ther is a poor chick that needs help with its legs we have been trying to help it wlak and drink but it is unlikley she will ever walk again i am hoping that she will be able to.she can not make a cheep out of her mouth her neck is very flexilble and the legs are the worst part they are so floppy.most likely she will not servive but we are trying hard for that to not make this happen.poor chick also known as clair-de-lune!!!! please help!!
Taylah***

Hi Paige, and welcome. Keep baby Claire warm and keep her off newspapers or wet bedding. Soft paper towels work well, or an old towel. Keep her fed and watered if you can. I think this is a really old post, so if you post a new Post in emergencies, you may get more replies. Good luck with your chick, if she can't stand though, she will likely not make it. I have never had much luck with this, but there have been others on here who have. The thing with chicks, they need company, but that same company is often mean to them, pecking and such. She will fall behind in growth and they will often peck her too much. It's survival of the fittest, and a messed up chick will attrack predators in the wild, so there you go. They MUST eliminate it. BUT, chicks don't do so well alone, so it gets complicated.

Hoping your chick does well, HenZ

This was my Sunny. She was born with a 'clubfoot'. Her foot was smaller than the other and toes did not separate. She also had a skin deformity and fewer dermal skin layers and no scaling on that leg. As a result, her skin was very fragile. I had to apply ointment every day and when she went outdoors with other to the 'special coop' she wore a cushioned sock that I changed twice a day. She eventually developed circulatory problems and skin ulcers, mostly due to her breed (heavy breed-cornish) and the thin skin. I think that she would have done fine with the deformity orthopedic-wise had it not been for the thin skin. She lived until 5 mos.
31309sunny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom