Chick with cross beak *pics*

I got mine at Jax in Lafayette, CO - my sweet little cross-beak Ameracauna chicken. Thanks for all the posts on this malformation. I will get some Penetran and salts and put a deeper dish in run for her.

This looks like the right thread to ask this question. I've not seen a beak gap like this. The chick scrape its beak on the floor but I don't know if it also needs to be trimmed. She's eating and drinking fine and doesn't seem to have any other problems. She was a political Feedstore that had been pecked severely by other chicks and we had rescued it. Any ideas on what we can do if we should do anything at all

My Americauna also has a cross beak. I will take a pic next time I trim her beak. I have trimmed the bottom beak and she bled like crazy! I was so upset. Someone on this site helped me understand what to do the next time. Her top beak was curled in a great deal keeping her lower beak from being able to close under it. I trimmed the top and lower beak this time with no bleeding. She still can't close her mouth completely but she seems to be eating well. She drinks a lot to keep her mouth moist. I do hold food for her and give her, her own dish while the other chicks are busy eating.
This little gal is the lowest in the pecking order but she can hold her own ground most of the time! Of course now she is my favorite and she knows it!

heres my crossbeak Maybell. i got her from a local person who ordered eggs from a sorta local hatchery..(no idea)
but they had never had to help her eat and i dont know if they even noticed her.
but she eats great and is just as big if not bigger than the others her age. bit more than 2mo

I was so worried about her as a chick, but my baby crossbeak laid her first egg this week. The pretty greenish egg is so tiny, but so exciting! I hope all the rest of this year's chicks are growing well.

Night is now 5.5 months old, and she eats crumbles mixed with water. She has learned to scoop her food with her big, curved top beak.

This is Nugget, my little crooked beak. She had been this way since I hatched her. actually, she is looking pretty good right now since I just trimmed her beak with fingernail clippers. She is Ameraucana and I got her egg from a local to hatch myself. She is six and a half months old. Eats well from the feeder but not so great at picking things off the ground. It seems like I see a lot of talk about this breed and EE's having cross beaks. Is it a common problem for them?

Hello people,

Yesterday my dog attacked my young chickens while I slept and killed most. ='(

Only two survived, one of them is very bruised, and started presenting cross beak, but before the incident she was perfect.

Now she is not able to eat right, I'm giving her food mixed with water using the syringe (without needle), but I want to heal her.

What I could possible do to heal the her?...

Please I am very sad but very hopefully that Cleópatra will be fine...

Oh, I am new at the forum, I am from Brasil and here is very hard to find some information about backyard chickens.

Thank you!

Luiza.

Is there a noticeable injury to beak? Beak injuries are extremely painful. For pain you can give her a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a regular aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,give orally(wrap in a piece of meat or cheese) or dissolve one 325mg aspirin per gallon of water.

Keep offering her wet feed,also try soft foods(bananas,etc)you can also try placing her feed on something soft like a pillow/rug,this helps with jarring the beak when eating and is less painful.

Keep her warm(when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp)quiet/calm. If she does not start to eat/drink,then you might want to consider tube feeding her.Here is a link explaining tube feeding.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Back
Top Bottom